MikeC

Crossflow short block rebuild prices

I know this is very open ended as to the spec you want, Have you guys got a rough idea on a crank re-grind and rebore (already +30) on a 711 block. I know the heritage on the block as I had it in a cortina many years ago until number 4 piston got too hot. It already has a piper magnum 285 cam which I am going to re use as it was not very old and I have a later gt flat  head with larger valves too. I just have not had an engine re-conned for many years so I am out of touch with prices and sensible upgrades to give it a bit of get up and go. I am sitting down to read the replys:sofa1:

14 hours ago, Lotuscops said:

Ask Rod Morrisey - Sussex  - he rebuilds Ford engines ROD

I'm retired now Keith, I haven't built an engine for years... I am an expert on some forms of gardening, decorating and cooking, none of which would be any use to this fellow?

The problem I’ve found is actually finding somebody to do the work!

In the old days, virtually every town had at least one machine shop, but nowadays you have to travel miles to get stuff done, and then they charge accordingly.

I was very lucky, the local machine shop I first used in 1977 (Dartford Rebore) and last used in 2016 when I stopped building engines is still going strong doing a great job at a great price.

Stoke had Yates's very good machine shop,  unfortunately long gone, so if l wanted any machining, I dont  know who I would use!! 

7 hours ago, GhiaMk4/5 said:

Stoke had Yates's very good machine shop,  unfortunately long gone, so if l wanted any machining, I dont  know who I would use!! 

Thanks for the input, I have phoned Jenkins and had a chat. I was given a ball park of £200 to grind the crank and £200 for the rebore plus £180 for pistons and obviously there will be more for shells and cam bearings oil pump .