Jump to content
johnny boy

Swedish lefty MK2 series 2, 2 door

Recommended Posts

Well...............

The repaired under dash wire loom is back in , and all conected up, converted to alternator , as the dynamo and reg were missing, and I had an alternator on my MK1 x flow , that im not using.

Had to repair some wiring  on the inner wings, but all sorted.

The carbutettor spindle is siezes up , so thats off now , for a free up and carb clean.

I did get it started and running on easy start, all all sounded good , so it wasn't put in the barn 30 years ago because the engine was duff.

Not sure about the gearbox yet, as I can't drive it yet. 

Sheffield Cortina centre supplied me with a S/H gear lever, because the one on the car, the ball had dissapered, do they brake up ?

Any way thats the latest up date, more soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear you're still making progress on the MK2 Johnny. Fingers crossed for the gearbox.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Never was in a barn, it was on a lawn...:cool:

Swedish reg started with E and part of VIN is 777, correct?

Off the road since 1989.

IMG_20201209_144321.jpg

Edited by mr Costin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the car Mr costin 🤔

I'd like to know some more Swedish history, even of it wasn't in a barn, and in a weather beaten muddy field😃 what do you know ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, not a lot, I will ask my friend that saved it years ago. But what I do know is that my friend never ran the car just took it away from a farm where it had been for many years.

I get back when I have talked to him.

Must say it is very nice to see it went to a good home. We tried to advertise it here but nobody else but the Essex guy replied.

 

Pic I inserted was a cople of weeks after the car was out of the barn!:fro:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mr Costin said:

Well, not a lot, I will ask my friend that saved it years ago. But what I do know is that my friend never ran the car just took it away from a farm where it had been for many years.

I get back when I have talked to him.

Must say it is very nice to see it went to a good home. We tried to advertise it here but nobody else but the Essex guy replied.

 

Pic I inserted was a cople of weeks after the car was out of the barn!:fro:

That's good to know some info.

I'm currently recommissioning it , so it can be used again.

There is a few parts missing, that I'm collecting and repairing as I go, l have started the engine , and it sounds very quiet , I'm guessing the 62,000 Kms is the true milage.

I did find some Swedish coins in the "a" post 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What parts do you need? Maybe I can help you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Swedish specific item I needed was an ignition switch, for the steering lock, as it burnt out along with the wire loom, but a guy on oldskool ford sold me one .

I,m coming across parts needed as I find them, at the moment , I am ok thanks , but it would be nice to be able to contact you for parts that are specific to the Swedish cars.👍

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had some time working on the car today. The car had no clutch hydralics when I bought it, so I bought some seal kits from the club, and attempted to fit them last week.

The slave cylinder,was siezed solid in the gearbox, I tried every thing to get it out, but it was not having it. In the end I had to destroy it, and air hammer it out.

So I had to buy a new slave. Then I removed the master to rebuild that, but the piston was siezed in the bore, tried soaking in wd40, heating and cooling, but no good.

So then I had to buy a master cylinder. So I put them on today , and bleed them, so I now have a opperating clutch.

I could not get the car to restart today, after looking I found lift pump was not pulling fuel up from the tank. I removed it and found the diaphram push rod siezed, I freed it off, refitted it , and  sucked the fuel up though it , and it now draws fuel from the tank.

But now the accelerator pump diaphragm is leaking , so I need a new one of those.

Any way its getting there slowly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the lift pump didn't last, so I've ordered up a diaphragm kit, also had to fit a new carb pump diaphragm 🙄.

While I'm waiting for the brake caliper s , I had time to make up an exhaust system , 2 inch straight through, all stainless , apart from the over axle part.😃

IMG_20210912_185505_795.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fitted new Flexi brake hoses this weekend, as the old ones had collapsed, and didn't pass fluid, although externally they looked serviceable.🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work on the exhaust!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've fitted the lift pump diaphragm, and it now starts and runs, and will also start 3 days later, so the pump is now drawing fuel up ok.

I've fitted the gear lever, thanks Sheffield cortina  center.

And the calipers and discs arrived from tinman, thank you.

So now it's on to some welding next I think. 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...