Sign in to follow this  
paz42

What is this colour name please!

Hi, I know the colour code on the vin plate is L1, but that apparently could be Atlantic blue, Baltic blue or Corsican blue. It's a mk5 1982 GL solid colour, If i can find the actual name i can get a rattle can made up, can you help please! Thanks. Please see picture attached, sorry it's so small but full size pic is file is too large to atrach.

20210226_145448.jpg

Atlantic is L2 ph

Corsican is L0 mh

Baltic is L3 1s25EB2B8C-C7C9-4612-A3FB-74F234A9EC3A.thumb.png.f5a523890beac90892ce40959568e41b.png

Edited by J2S

I’d go with Atlantic looking at images on google 

hard to tell from the pic, microfiche doesn t list ext colours, partsbook says "corsican blue" for "L" (without 1). and according to this march 82 brochure, only these colours where available:

IMG_3050.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

not very helpful i fear, what month was your car built or could it be 1981 produced perhaps? see scan from "J2S".

IMG_3052.JPG

Edited by consul315

if you take it to a motor factor that deals with the trade, they'll be able to measure the colour with a spectrophotometer & give you a good match

This is one I use - https://jkwrefinishingsupplies.co.uk/

The cans are really good too, they don't spit & fart like they did in the past & you get to drain the can completely

Thanks all, much appreciated!  On the vin plate someone has scratched in 23.02.1982. I'm giving the engine, bay, and front axle a  refresh while it's off the road till it qualifies for free tax! 

Edited by paz42
Update reply

Have to agree with Neil. I got some Sunset Red made to the code and it it didn't match perfectly. Possible fading. The factor's measuring machine matched it bang on

Posted (edited)

Red is the colour most effected by sunlight.

< Daytona yellow is a pain to match as there are something like 8-9 shades!

Edited by sheffieldcortinacentre

On 3/2/2021 at 8:53 PM, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

Red is the colour most effected by sunlight.

< Daytona yellow is a pain to match as there are something like 8-9 shades!

Red did always used to be bad, but they tend to use more light fast pigments these days which don't fade, which could result in it being metameric (looks a different colour under different lights) as it would now be rematched using different pigments.

I remember some fiat colours having well over 30 shades, so 8 or 9 is not so bad.