Sign in to follow this  
Steve Walton

Free Road Tax

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I know this has been asked many times before but when and how do you register for free road tax?

My Mk5 was first regd on 9th March 1982 so will be 40 years old next March. What will I need to do. It is currently taxed on a monthly Direct Debit.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Walton

Send log book to DVLA with historic vehicle in the change of taxation class box.

Does it not have be into it's 41st year before it gets the free tax....or something daft like that ?

If your vehicle was built before 1 January 1981, you can stop paying vehicle tax from 1 April 2021.

If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was registered before 8 January 1981, you do not need to pay vehicle tax from 1 April 2021.

Obviously add one year for 1982

I guess you need to prove it was built before 1st Jan 1982 to qualify next year

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all your help . I think I might have it sorted.

Just found the document I have been looking for.

https://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Build_Date_Codes

Can't get this to open from our site. But the Letters on my VIN Plate are WF0XXGBBCY********

In a message from Craig to Waltermk3 Craig states the the 5th and 6th letters are the Build Date so am I correct that my MK5 was built in April 1980?

How do I inform/convince Swansea that the build date is April 1980? And so claim Historic Status?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Edited by Steve Walton

That link you posted states it's the 11th and 12th characters of the vin number(last two letters before the 5 numbers at the end) that determine build date ?

1 hour ago, John Mack said:

That link you posted states it's the 11th and 12th characters of the vin number(last two letters before the 5 numbers at the end) that determine build date ?

Hi John,

The last 2 characters before the numbers in my VIN are not on the Build Date Code List. I got the info that it is the 5th & 6th letters from a post that Craig put up.

I will see if Craig replies.

How are you doing , Has Nicola let you all out to play yet?

The 5th & 6th letters are build date .

Ie BABFLT   the LT would signify L 1980 T april

Posted (edited)

oohh that brings tears to my eyes, i just registered a MK1 Granada with 125 hp, i have to pay eur 650,00 (tax only) a year:tears:

Edited by consul315

8 hours ago, Steve Walton said:

Hi John,

The last 2 characters before the numbers in my VIN are not on the Build Date Code List. I got the info that it is the 5th & 6th letters from a post that Craig put up.

I will see if Craig replies.

How are you doing , Has Nicola let you all out to play yet?

Maybe your car sat about for a bit then ?  Hope you get your free tax!  I need to check mine too.

Nic' says "just hud it for a wee bit longer"

Now I just need to figure out how to get the DVLA to accept the 1980 Build Date. :headscratch:

Pm me

1 hour ago, Steve Walton said:

Now I just need to figure out how to get the DVLA to accept the 1980 Build Date. :headscratch:

Maybe getting in touch with Ford themselves?,   if they can clarify the build date then you can forward this to DVLA

Posted (edited)

Ford uk lol,🤣 help old car owners lololol.🤣🤣🤣 

Helped them in the past & when asked for the tiniest favour in return it was begrudgingly given with an infered message of we've (publicity dept) a very tight budget so don't ask again.

Meanwhile the members of the press were being fawned over.

This is a UK thing from what I can gather as overseas it's a polar opposite when it comes to classic ford interaction.

Edited by sheffieldcortinacentre

5 hours ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

Ford uk lol,🤣 help old car owners lololol.🤣🤣🤣 

Helped them in the past & when asked for the tiniest favour in return it was begrudgingly given with an infered message of we've (publicity dept) a very tight budget so don't ask again.

Meanwhile the members of the press were being fawned over.

This is a UK thing from what I can gather as overseas it's a polar opposite when it comes to classic ford interaction.

Disappointing to hear that sort of thing.