Mk2 Crayford

Mk2 smoldering wires!

Over the winter I replaced my strut tops and used the opportunity to overhaul the engine bay including new brake lines, re-wrapped wiring loom, respray and an engine rebuild.

Last weekend I finally put the engine in and tried to start it. It wouldn't start but some of the wiring started to get hot and smoke. I put this down to bad earth due to the respray so cleand the battery cable earth on thee body and the same for the engine earth. That did the trick and the engine started and ran no problem with no hot wires.

All was well until last night when I was giving the car a tune up. It started and ran OK but stalled when I went to turn the tick over down. When I went to restart it the starter just clicked. I tried it a couple of times then noticed the battery earth and starter cable wer both smoking. The earth terminal and that end of the battery were extremely hot.

I assume there was a short to earth that was causing the problem so had a check for one. This is what I discovered.

The large brown wire on the starter solenoid has continuity to earth.

The power terminal on the starter has continuity to earth.

The battery had lost all its volts.

What I don't know is would the brown wire and starter terminal both naturally return to earth. Or could the problem be caused by a dodgy battery, starter or solenoid. All the other wiring in the engine bay is fine.

Any ideas.

My Mk2 Lefty, has had a burn out on the Fat brown wire, though out the loom , with some of the earths burnt also, and the fat brown shorting to other wires , giving weird problems. that is one of my next jobs , to strip and repair the loom.

The wires have to return to earth to complete the circuit. You need to disconnect the suspect wire at both ends, and then check continuity with earth. and other wires if you suspect its burnt into any others.

From the info I have the brown wire goes to the ammeter. That all seems fine. The heat just seems to be in the battery and starter circuit.

I've got a replacement battery being delivered tomorrow under warranty so that will confirm if that's the issue. I'll also pick up a starter to remove the risk of that being the issue. If that doesn't work I'll give up and put if back in the garage

Ammeters are a very bad thing.

A bonfire waiting to happen.

Much better off with a volt meter.

Your problem is most likely a bad earth on the battery to chassis connection, and the earth finding its way to earth though other wires.

Well it was either the starter or the battery. Changed them both and no issues since.

33 minutes ago, Mk2 Crayford said:

Well it was either the starter or the battery. Changed them both and no issues since.

Happy days😀