Sign in to follow this  
Cortina1975

Mk3 1600XL- leaking brake master cylinder

Hi all,

Bad times!

After holding the golden  fluid  for over a year my brake master cylinder has leaked all  over the newly painted inner wing :angry:. Noticed the level has dropped and the fluid is running down the face of the servo. I guess the options are a re sleeve or a Land rover part. It's already had the bore cleaned up with emery and new seals fitted. 

Would this Land Rover part fit the servo ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291300864337

Which brake pipe unions would I need to order (presume the Ford uses metric and the land rover is imperial.  

Thanks all :cheers:

I had my master cylinder resleeved by Past Parts, and it has performed faultlessly over a few 000 miles. It cost c£150 though, but to my mind a resleeved original is better than a cheap foreign one. What colour is the plastic band on your cylinder?

• Like 1

Thanks Dave. It's a red tag on mine. Unfortunately the plastic tank got cracked removing it to change the rubbers  and had to be sealed with JB weld so I doubt it will be worth repairing...but id rather keep it origonal spec if i can rather than go down the Land Rover route

43 minutes ago, DaveWheats said:

I had my master cylinder resleeved by Past Parts, and it has performed faultlessly over a few 000 miles. It cost c£150 though, but to my mind a resleeved original is better than a cheap foreign one. What colour is the plastic band on your cylinder?

Past Parts supplied a new tank with mine.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DaveWheats said:

Past Parts supplied a new tank with mine.

Thanks I will give them a try, did your master cylinder  come back all ready to fit ?

1 hour ago, Cortina1975 said:

Thanks I will give them a try, did your master cylinder  come back all ready to fit ?

Yes absolutely straight from the box onto the car. On another forum somebody complained that theirs started leaking, but was fixed FOC.

Give it a day or two to see if anybody else on here has any comments.

• Like 1