Sign in to follow this  
inthis2getha

Ball joint boot advice please

Hey there,

Looking for a bit of advice if possible please, had an advisory on my 1972 Cortina’s MOT last year : “Offside Front Lower Suspension component ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))”

I want to sort it before this years MOT so can anyone recommend good quality replacements? I see a lot of parts out there QH etc but are they actually any good??

Is it worth actually replacing the ball joints or just replace the dust covers on the current?

If replacing the ball joints is it best practice to do top and bottom?

Any advice very much appreciated,

Thanks

I'd just replace the ball joint complete. QH, Firstline, FIA aftermarket parts are going to be ok. Biggest *ache is getting the original one off as they are rivited on.

Another option is to grind the heads off with an angle grinder but be careful as you don't want to cut into the suspension arm.

14 minutes ago, martog said:

I'd just replace the ball joint complete. QH, Firstline, FIA aftermarket parts are going to be ok. Biggest *ache is getting the original one off as they are rivited on.

Another option is to grind the heads off with an angle grinder but be careful as you don't want to cut into the suspension arm.

I agree with Martog change them out. But don't go to wild with the grinder. Leave a bit of the rivet head in place and use a punch and a good sized hammer and knock the rivets out.

Thanks a lot guys,

So is it best practice to change out the top ones at the same time? And are they riveted in as well?

much appreciated,

Ant 

If their ok just do the bottom, all four were rivetted but must be very few left that are now.

22 hours ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

If their ok just do the bottom, all four were rivetted but must be very few left that are now.

Agreed.

If the original (arm, roll bar, joint), big bolts are in good condition use these. Fit new nylock nuts that are easily available from your local ironmongers.

These same bolts will let you fit spaced calipers to vented discs. Using a shim (5mm) to centralize the caliper.

Cold chisel the heads off the rivets and whack them out with a centre punch and a universal adjusting tool aka hammer. IIRC, that's how I did them on my GT back in the 80's. I remember a hammer and punch being involved. :blink:

On 7/18/2021 at 10:42 PM, Beeper said:

Cold chisel the heads off the rivets and whack them out with a centre punch and a universal adjusting tool aka hammer. IIRC, that's how I did them on my GT back in the 80's. I remember a hammer and punch being involved. :blink:

Universal adjusting tool is also known as a FBH.

Or... 

If in doubt, give it a clout! :wife:

2 hours ago, Beeper said:

FBH?

F***ing Big Hammer  :thumbsup:

Ha ha, gotchya. :smashcomp: