Sign in to follow this  
jezadude

Starting issue

Hello,

Can anybody please help me, when I go to start my car (1972 Cortina Mk3 GXL 1600 OHC) and I turn the ignition key most of the time it just clicks and wont turn the engine over, I keep trying and sometimes on the second go it turns over and sometimes it takes more goes before it will, when I last tried a couple of days ago before I had to leave it (its not parked on my property) I tried several times |(maybe about five) and it never turned over once,  just kept doing that clicking sound so I gave up. Its not the starter motor as I have had it reconditioned and its working fine (I assume) the alternator is recently new, the electrical connections to the starter motor look clean, but does that necessary mean they are ok I don't know, that's why I was wondering if someone here with more knowledge could suggest what to check or what to try.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers

Jeremy

P.S

I actually thought it was a starter motor issue that's why I had it reconditioned so you can imagine my disappointment when it was re fitted and still did it.

Could be battery. Are the headlights bright when you turn them on or dim?

Check all earth's and make sure battery terminals are clean and tight.

Could be ign switch that's worn internally ( 50 years old if original). Try shorting the terminals on rear to bypass (eliminate from circuit).

If it is then you need one with correct plug to loom or swap wires to another thus retaining correct plug.

Check battery voltage, should be above 13volts, mine struggles when it gets as low as 12.4 volts. You can buy a multimeter for a few quid to  check it.

check terminals on battery, I've had ones that don't tighten up well and caused issues or the terminals corroded, so need a fine sand with emery paper, also make sure it's earthed properly, you can always run a jump lead cable from the battery  -ve to the engine block to make sure its earthing correctly.