KKCortina

Mk3 Cortina Upper+Lower Ball Joint Replacement Rivets

Guys

I am changing Upper and Lower Ball Joints in my early'72 Cortina....... they are the originals and so have the domed rivets fitted.....and the replacements have the usual nut/bolt included to replace the rivets

What is the best way to cleanly remove the domed rivets other than to use a hand grinder which will more than likely damage the surrounding area with grinder marks/scars etc.......is a pillar drill in combination with a vice of some sort the answer?

Suggestions invited from those who have carried out this task before............

I drilled the ones out on my Mk4.  I used an undersized drill bit to avoid drilling into the arm itself then sliced the end off the rivet with a cold chisel

I drilled from the flat end rather than trying to drill from the domed side

Edited by dgo

^whs

I did the same, but used a number of drill bits of increasing size until the rivet was only held together by sliver of metal and could then just be punched through the arm.

If you have taken the whole arm off the car it's quite easy to do.  Make sure you give it a nice sharp whack with a centre punch first to keep the drill from wondering, though.

Great advice there lads ....will try as both upper and lower arms are off the car .....thanks again .... KK

Just grind it on the old ball joint face side :thumbsup:

Edited by TIB3300

10 hours ago, KKCortina said:

Great advice there lads ....will try as both upper and lower arms are off the car .....thanks again .... KK

While they're off the car do the bushes if you're not already planning that

Thanks TIB3000 - Never thought of that method! Will try......

Also DGO - plan to do the bushings - have the old ones out and ready to press in the new ones....

I used a dremel made a few crosses on the rivets and chiselled them off