Sign in to follow this  
midmillotus

Willment info or contact required

In late 2019 I was lucky enough to find an interesting Cortina  that had been in storage for 38 years, but there is no early history with it so far. Despite the DVLA I have learned that it was first registered in Croydon when the nearest Ford dealership was John Willment (Mitcham) Ltd, so I would particularly like to learn if indeed it passed through Willments and who that interesting first owner was. Does anybody out there have or know of a contact that may link me to a remnant of Willment organisation please?

Good luck with your search mate,i have tried to find out were my Cortina was supplied from. Back when we could,i got the previous owners from the DVLA,but it doesn't show the supplying dealer.It was registered in Nottingham,so i contacted Sandicliffe Ford who are still open,but their records don't go back far enough. I contacted Ford UK to see if they could tell me which dealer supplied it,but they said they were unable to,due to data protection.Hope you have better luck :biggrin:

16 hours ago, midmillotus said:

In late 2019 I was lucky enough to find an interesting Cortina  that had been in storage for 38 years, but there is no early history with it so far. Despite the DVLA I have learned that it was first registered in Croydon when the nearest Ford dealership was John Willment (Mitcham) Ltd, so I would particularly like to learn if indeed it passed through Willments and who that interesting first owner was. Does anybody out there have or know of a contact that may link me to a remnant of Willment organisation please?

I doubt you'll get any info that way, Willment was dissolved a long time ago, and it's doubtful anyone would keep paperwork that long anyway as there is no great reason to do so.

If it's a car of any interest, I'm sure people on here will probably know more about it than any car dealer will.

Is it a Savage as Jeff Uren used to race for Willment Racing Team?

Surely the nearest Ford dealer to Croydon is Dees?  They've been there, well, forever

Thanks for the responses guys. I and the car are in New Zealand! It first came to NZ in 1976. Have since contacted Dees via a generic sales enquiry email facility as this seemed the only way. No email address on their site otherwise and I seriously doubt the receptionist, should I phone them, would have the foggiest idea of how to handle my enquiry! But will phone if need be.

The car is an early '67 Lotus, colour Saluki Bronze, Parchment trim, with a Webasto sunroof.