Sign in to follow this  
josephcortina

starter motor?

just got a new starter motor for my mk5 old starter has 2 small terminal on solenoid new has only 1 small terminal on sonenoid  do i connect both to the one terminal on the new starter

Nope. In a nutshell its possible the Starter you now have isn't the same (or the Solenoid at least) as the "old" one. :wine:

1 hour ago, Tony Webster said:

Nope. In a nutshell its possible the Starter you now have isn't the same (or the Solenoid at least) as the "old" one. :wine:

Would I be right in saying the 2nd terminal is for feeding the coil to bypass the ballast wire when cranking?

Yes that's the later starter for cars with electronic ignition Sierra,Capri,Granada etc & some 82 reg 2.0 cortinas. (The terminal is also the opposite to the 2 wire one).

For a cortina you need the starter with 2 small terminals ( contrary to eBay listings) the second terminal bypasses the ballast resistor when starting giving the coil full 12v opposed to only 9v once running.

• Like 1