Sign in to follow this  
Captain Scarlet

99 octane in the EFi

Remember when most of us retarded the ignition timing when we switched from 97 octane 4 star to 95 unleaded ? 

Ive been using E5 super unleaded in the mk3 with EFi pinto ,and it loves it but i noticed the idle speed had lifted ,and realised that i should remove the grounding wire in the loom to move the timing back to 12 degrees BTDC ,it sorted it out and runs so much better :smile: So if you are running EFi try it,in fact some non EFi engines may benefit from advancing the timing a small amount to compensate for the higher octane :thumbsup:

Also took the time to swap the alternator which had a rattling rear bearing, and fit a rubber grommet behind one of the timing belt cover as it was 'buzzing' ,feels overall so smooth now.

Might be worth seeking out an Esso station "Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland)": Link

• Thanks 1

I guess i should have titled it thread 'using 97 to 99 octane' as some of it is labelled 97 and others 99 ,Tesco Momentum is 99 and usually at a good price.

But whether using 97 or 99 octane going back to the factory timing setting is relevant.

Strange that Esso can only supply non ethanol in certain areas ,i didn't know you could get ethanol fee petrol still, Thanks for you reply :thumbsup: