Sign in to follow this  
josephcortina

petrol leak

the return metle pipe is leaking where it fit in to carb  whot is the best sealent to use

1 hour ago, John Mack said:

What about replacing the union with something that won't fall out, I remember someone in another post had used screw in type like the one below ??

Straight connector 1/8NPTx6mm brass (burtonpower.com)

THe replacement Weber Carb I got for my MK5 2.0 has screw in fittings as per John's reply.

On 11/13/2021 at 7:49 PM, John Mack said:

What about replacing the union with something that won't fall out, I remember someone in another post had used screw in type like the one below ??

Straight connector 1/8NPTx6mm brass (burtonpower.com)

That was me though I think it was mentioned in your members cars thread John? Can't remember now. Over the last few nights I've been messing about with fitting a screw in barb to a carb top while the nights are long and the days are short. 

My barbs were very tight in the carb top and I've left the return outlet alone for now, but bit the bullet and did the deed with the inlet pipe.

Here's what's left of the brass fitting after mucho messing about.

20220110_212619.thumb.jpg.2a186cb6c6555e863f013f81a5093537.jpg

This is the point of no return, so had to crack on and get the rest of the brass fitting out of the hole. This probably were I am a tad lucky as I have a small tub full of reamers and I managed to get most of the brass fitting out.

Then I used a 9mm drill bit to drill the hole for the tap. In the last conversation regarding this topic it was mentioned to use a 9.5mm drill bit but I used a 9 and it tapped pretty well.

Bit of removable thread lock and hopefully this should be ok. 20220120_191511.thumb.jpg.0b33c1970d122c10e574e7257d2920ae.jpg

20220120_191320.thumb.jpg.0e79a2bfe0cc3600f6a63a4a638d53a2.jpg

20220110_212701.thumb.jpg.ca84beffb8772e4253ee9b775b04b215.jpg

• Thanks 1

Bought this kit from Top Performance which comes with a powervalve and an extra gasket so that it opens up waaay more than the original. 

Moar POWER!!! 

Excellent!  

:smile:

20220121_185718.thumb.jpg.00e8ce1a922e7e07c62d0a2d83e6ae85.jpg

• Like 1

Any chance of a link to that kit?

So fitted the powervalve and it's gasket to the carb top along with the gasket that goes between the carbs two halves and fitted it to the car today.

20220123_114954.thumb.jpg.770d168894cbbd7bf7810f144936479c.jpg 

This is the scary bit...You need to push the carb top onto the bottom bit whereas before you just drop the top onto the bottom. This opens up the valve that sits in the bottom of the float chamber and will no doubt opens the powervalve so fuel is now dribbling into the secondary choke even though you don't need fuel there until you plant your foot to open up that second choke. Yes, it works and doesn't mess about when you rev it up to open the second choke, I just don't like the idea of fuel disappearing down a hole when it not needed. So next weekend I'm going to remove the powervalve gasket (not the diaphragm) and get the engine running and see what happens then.