KELLTINA

Help, engine seized.

4 hours ago, Neil. said:

I'd have thought you should be able to see whether the distributor is worn enough not to drive the oil pump.

Re synthetic oil in your first post, I have known a Savage owner to use it to find that it caused a newly rebuilt engine to seize.

Did you carry on driving with the light on?

Unfortunately I did. However I was sat idling when the oil light came on so I turned it off and called the engineer. He said it might be faulty oil pressure switch. So I cranked it up and driven the 2 miles home at 20mph in as higher gear as poss to keep the revs down. Just as I got home it conked out and wouldn't restart. Took oil cap off and smoke came out of cam and a visual check of cam shaft didn't look good. 

I decided to check the oil and found the dip stick very hot to touch. Oil was clear like new and registered correctly on dip stick. 

IMG_20211030_103707.jpg

IMG_20211030_103803.jpg

2 hours ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

I'd say yes to the synthetic oil being no good in first case.

It's to thin for older style engines.

The ohc & Essex have problems with the hexagon drive shaft rounding off.

But any decent reconditioning company & employee would check these components during a full rebuild & should voice any concerns to the customer during the job.

The milage covered by the dizzy pre rebuild is very minor ( so this & the oil pump) short of building imperfections would leave the original worn shaft as most likely culprit, next the very low mileage once back in use is so little as to again point to a catastrophic component failure which on examination should be obvious.

I'dsay seek some advice re what was supposed to have been done also possible independent examination of the engine to determine what failed & thus who's liable.

Ie reconer for not clarifying what was Inc in work,

Oil pump manufacturer/supplier.

Dizzy manufacturer/supplier.

I think it's gonna all revolve around the dizzy shaft condition & wether reconnect should have erred on side of replacement.

Are you in the AA or RAC  ( doubtful the other recovery providers provide more extensive services) they should be able to provide help re independent assessment & legal advice.

Thanks for your valuable input Craig. 

Not in any recovery services atm. 

There was only a verbal contract as to what's to be done /replaced or renewed. 

Certain things got renewed for anesthetics like a new alternator, inlet manifold, servo. It was their choice to renew things as I gave them permission to replace what's needed. It definitely pushed the bill up. Months later I'm still waiting for the invoice. 

So if it's the hex shaft at fault where do I stand and how should I approach this problem with the engineer. 

The engine will be fully stripped by now, ready for me to view in the morning. We already know the cam is goosed and I will know tomorrow if crank, big ends, shells or pistons have been affected. 

I will say the boss said he will see what he can do with the final bill but he stressed he's a small company. I've spent over 6k on the engine and ancillaries 10k on body and still don't have a basic working car. 

Feeling your pain, hope you can get it resolved.

• Thanks 1

Can anyone confirm. This hex shaft between the dizzy and the oil pump isn't part of the new dizzy I replaced years back. I can confirm the dizzy still works and not seized. The problem is the hex shaft. I can't remember when I purchased the dizzy if it came with a new shaft. 

As far as I know the hex shaft is a separate part from either the "dizzy" or the oil pump. if my memory serves, the auxiliary drive from the timing belt drives the "dizzy" and that in turn drives the oil pump via the hex shaft. I'd imagine IF the "dizzy" had seized, its likely the cam / timing belt may have stripped some of its teeth (wouldn't it ?) I now note the comment regarding the "dizzy" ? I wonder what's actually faulty with it ?   :wine:

Edited by Tony Webster

Ok just got back from engineering Co. I was surprised to see my engine hasn't been stripped at all, only the dizzy removed. They showed the dizzy upside down and pointed out the hex hole where the hex shaft enters had rounded out. My dizzy is an accuspark and cheaply made. Not the billeted type like Aldon or Bestek. They took the dizzy out and turned the hex drive and noticed oil streaming out the spray bar. So we know that the oil pump is fine. 

The latest is... They are waiting for a new dizzy from Bestek to be delivered @$260 quid,before considering the strip down. They say it hasn't completely seized because the crank turns freely. So, it's getting a new dizzy, new oil and filter then run it to see if it makes any untoward noises. They say the black marks on the cam is probably burnt oil caused by oil starvation (see photos) . So guys I might get some luck for once. Fingers crossed I get some good news in the next few days.

Has anyone had any dealings with Bestek dizzys? 

Fingers crossed that it works out for you. 

I've seen issues with the hex bar but never the distributor drive rounding out, going to check mine over the winter!

4 minutes ago, dgo said:

Fingers crossed that it works out for you. 

I've seen issues with the hex bar but never the distributor drive rounding out, going to check mine over the winter!

The hex bar, the link between the bottom of your dizzy and the oil pump are usually solid and hardened. It's the quality of the input hole on your dizzy which the hex bar inserts into that's the weak point. My dizzy has rounded out. Hope you understand my meaning. 

13 hours ago, KELLTINA said:

I've spent over 6k on the engine and ancillaries 10k on body and still don't have a basic working car. 

wow that's quite a lot of money-hope you get it sorted (part-refunded) by the company-good luck

Just read your post, hopefully it's not caused any damage.

4 hours ago, Neil. said:

If you are paying out a lot of cash, it's worth paying £100 on credit card as it covers you for the whole amount, even the portion paid by other means.

It's a bit late now but for the future

more info - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/section75-protect-your-purchases/

My next purchase from them is a Bestek dizzy at $260+. Are you saying, if I pay that bill with a credit card every penny I've spent with them on the rebuild is covered by the credit card company? 

I'm no legal expert but if it comes under the same invoice titled engine rebuild then I'd hope so.

Best thing to do is read your terms and conditions on your credit card regarding section 75

I believe there are some exclusions such as holidays through a travel agent as it's not a direct relationship with the supplier, but in general it means the credit card company is liable for the purchase  as much as the supplier, it's a good insurance for anything you buy between £100 & £30,000 and if you get refused you can appeal via the financial onbudsman

I may have still available a 1.6 pinto with 44k on it that was pulled from mine when i popped the L4 in. 

I will check 

Would you be interested in that??

Regards

Ron

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

I may have still available a 1.6 pinto with 44k on it that was pulled from mine when i popped the L4 in. 

I will check 

Would you be interested in that??

Regards

Ron

Hi Ron. Of course mate, I would be delighted to buy it from you. However, I'm still holding my breath on the inspection with mine. Will keep you posted on here. 👍