My engine seized some time ago. Took it to a reputable place for it to be reconditioned. During the strip down they didn't really diagnose the cause, however, I told them I had been using fully synthetic oil, they said that's the probable cause. A few grand later I pick car up, running great, sweet, smooth and quiet. Happy!! 

Within 20 miles of picking car up, the oil light comes on and engine seized. I call the engineers who did the job and they promptly come and tailor the car away. 

Just received a call from them stating its not their fault, the problem comes from a faulty dizzy which drives the internal oil pump. They didn't supply the dizzy, they jusy refitted the original dizzy. 

Question is, can a faulty dizzy cause my engine to seize? 

I'm not naming the engineers as they did a good job. I just need to know if a dizzy can stop the oil pump from working, making the oil light come on then eventually seizing the engine. 

Advice please, I'm going to be out of pocket tonns ere. 

1.6 pinto engine. 

Edited by KELLTINA
More information

You really need to know which part has failed - oil pump can seize , the drive shaft between the pump and the dizzy can round off the edges and not turn the oil pump or the dizzy itself can seize but that seems unlikely . Would go for the drive shaft between the 2 . 

3 minutes ago, mk2sav said:

You really need to know which part has failed - oil pump can seize , the drive shaft between the pump and the dizzy can round off the edges and not turn the oil pump or the dizzy itself can seize but that seems unlikely . Would go for the drive shaft between the 2 . 

I've been told by the engineer it's the dizzy at fault. New oil pump fitted. He mentioned drive shaft rounding off. 

Well , if the dizzy seized the engine would have stopped as no spark . I guess the only thing that matters is why the shaft has rounded off . Personally I cant see how they can know the dizzy would have been at fault but they must have had it apart to recondition the engine so they are probably worried that you are going to say "why didnt you see it " 

• Like 1

I guess I ought to say , im no expert on these things - really just an opinion !! 

4 minutes ago, mk2sav said:

Well , if the dizzy seized the engine would have stopped as no spark . I guess the only thing that matters is why the shaft has rounded off . Personally I cant see how they can know the dizzy would have been at fault but they must have had it apart to recondition the engine so they are probably worried that you are going to say "why didnt you see it " 

Yes I did ask why they would re fit a worn dizzy. Answer... It must of been ok for us to refit it. 

Please note, I'm writing this in anger so probably not giving full picture. I've only just got off phone to them. I've spent thousands with them and now skint. They will not accept responsibility which is probably correct. But I need to do more investigation as to why a dizzy can do this. Or is it possible. 

It does sound as if they are wriggling to get out of responsibility to me but maybe wait to see what Craig or one of the more knowledgeable guys answers . God knows why they use a hexagon to drive these things - my V6 uses the same design and they are known to be a weak spot so again , begs the question why they didnt put a new one in . 

• Like 1

Having taken the engine apart would they not have seen that this shaft between the dizzy and oil pump was no longer serviceable?

Could they be blaming the dizzy to get out of footing the rebuild cost? Also shouldn't they check all parts before refitting them especially if they can cause an engine to seize?

Although I don't see how a distributor can do that but then I've never had a pinto apart!

• Like 1

When I've had engines rebuilt, the distributor is not always included, so if the hexagonal key within the bottom of the distributor is worn, it's not necessarily part of the rebuilt?

You probably need to look at the agreement and see whats included and what isn't

I had a different problem with an engine I had rebuilt, I had it rebuilt as the cam chewed all the teeth off the distributor drive, and still had the same problem after the rebuild, I never sorted it as the car was off the road soon after.

While the engineer was loading the car to his transporter, he did say he's been scratching his head all night. As he personally put this engine back together. He said it sounds like oil pump failure (I would be covered if it was) however it's been known for the dizzy to do this and went on to explain. An hour later his boss was on phone telling me its the dizzy. 

The dizzy was new 4/5 year and 4000 mile ago. Was an accuspark dizzy and never been any trouble for me. I fitted it, very simple. 

It's difficult for me to prove otherwise and I feel over a barrel. I've been invited to view stripped down engine tomorrow but how's that going to help. I hope they have sympathy for me and go easy on the bill. I have to borrow the money from family members. 

I'd have thought you should be able to see whether the distributor is worn enough not to drive the oil pump.

Re synthetic oil in your first post, I have known a Savage owner to use it to find that it caused a newly rebuilt engine to seize.

Did you carry on driving with the light on?

8 minutes ago, Neil. said:

I'd have thought you should be able to see whether the distributor is worn enough not to drive the oil pump.

Re synthetic oil in your first post, I have known a Savage owner to use it to find that it caused a newly rebuilt engine to cease.

When I took the car to them 12 months ago when it first seized, they never mentioned the dizzy. I mention I'd been using full synthetic for years and they said it's possibly that. 

This time talking to engineer he said he didn't think it was the oil I used and it won't be the oil this time as he used 10/40 multi grade. 

Looks like I'm stuffed no matter. 

I'd say yes to the synthetic oil being no good in first case.

It's to thin for older style engines.

The ohc & Essex have problems with the hexagon drive shaft rounding off.

But any decent reconditioning company & employee would check these components during a full rebuild & should voice any concerns to the customer during the job.

The milage covered by the dizzy pre rebuild is very minor ( so this & the oil pump) short of building imperfections would leave the original worn shaft as most likely culprit, next the very low mileage once back in use is so little as to again point to a catastrophic component failure which on examination should be obvious.

I'dsay seek some advice re what was supposed to have been done also possible independent examination of the engine to determine what failed & thus who's liable.

Ie reconer for not clarifying what was Inc in work,

Oil pump manufacturer/supplier.

Dizzy manufacturer/supplier.

I think it's gonna all revolve around the dizzy shaft condition & wether reconnect should have erred on side of replacement.

Are you in the AA or RAC  ( doubtful the other recovery providers provide more extensive services) they should be able to provide help re independent assessment & legal advice.

The other thing to bear in mind - did you pay by credit card, you may be covered under section 75

6 minutes ago, Neil. said:

The other thing to bear in mind - did you pay by credit card, you may be covered under section 75

Bank transfer and debit card only