Sign in to follow this  
Cortina1975

Cortina Mk3 - setting tie bars

Hi all, hope everyone had a good Christmas and made progress with their projects. 

Big thanks again to everyone whose given friendly advice and help on here. Especially Craig at Sheffield Cortina centre whose been unfailingly kind and helpful with suggestions  and sorting me out with a few parts . ..and the guy in Liverpool who sold me a complete  interior and gave me a carburettor with manifold (sorry I can't remember your name it was a good few years ago).Classic car people are the best :thumbsup:

I know this has been covered before but I cant find the post...I'm setting the tie bars on the front suspension and iirc the procedure is to set the wheel centres to 101.5 inches? Is this correct ?

atb

• Like 1

Basically yes .

• Upvote 1

Curious about this as I may face the same problem...... a pre-facelift 2.0 GXL (Jan'72 build month)...... tie-bars are off car and may have their "pre-set" position altered (as the nut you shouldn't move has probably shifted a bit during a sand blast/cleaning process!!)

How should you reset these by using the above 101.5" rule ......also from which point/edge do you measure this 101.5 in distance ({or whatever distance is used for pre-facelift cars)...... e.g. ...is it from the inner or outer wheel rim etc or some other measure method?

If set manually as in above..... would a tyre service depot computerised Laser Tracking/chassis alignment set-up be able to check camber/castor etc more accurately ......... chances are that the early pre-facelift settings are not held on their vehicle database .....if not would the known/quoted official camber/castor settings as per Ford manual be able to be "manually input " to system .............

Every cortina I’ve had they have never been the same one side different to the other ,

I set at 101.5 then take it to get aligned 

be warmed most place can’t do 13 inch wheels anymore 

The distance is centre to centre of wheel.

Try to find a smaller company/garage who've been in business along time rather than a Halfords/Kwik fit type place.

I use a bloke who does race/track cars 

he still does a lot of 13 inch wheels still

but as said big places are a no go 

So..... for a Mk3/4/5 measure from middle of rear wheel (say exact centre of UNBENT chrome/plastic wheel cap) to the equivalent on the front wheel ......should be set 101.5 inches each side - then bring to reliable/old tyre depot to align properly (4 wheel alignment).............

Yes

Thanks Craig  - great help to all as usual - hope you have a good New Year 2022!

Problem I found with the wheel centres method is that is needs to be so accurate.  Personally, I used a digital level and put it on the threads of the top and bottom ball joints.  Worked really well.

Gunsons do a cheap gauge for this job if you've a flat surface.