Sign in to follow this  
Fordieman

2731 Engine Into Gearbox

Hi all,

I have a Mk 1 Cortina 1500 Gt 1966. I would like to change the engine to 2731 which was used in Mk2 Cortinas. 

Will 2731 engine fit into the standard 1500 Gt gearbox of my Mk1 which is already installed in the car? 

Kind Regards,

Fordieman

As long as you use right clutch yes.

Thanks for the reply Sheffield Cortina Centre. 

Can you elaborate on the use of the right clutch?

Thanks,

Fordieman

To match spline on gbox I'm not up on mk1-2 without checking.

Pretty sure the spline is the same as a Mk1 would have a 3 rail box as per earlier Mk2s but where you may have an issue is the clutch cover . I think all Mk1s had a cover with 3 lever style fitment and most (if not all)  Mk2s have a diaphragm cover . Trouble being , that engine is quite a rare one so not absolutely sure which type it would have originally . And that leads to which release bearing , carrier and even the slave cylinder is used . They have been fitted before so there must be a way around the probs . Steve.

Many thanks again for your reply's - Sheffield Cortina Centre & Mk2sav. 

So, is there any one out there that has done this? and can advise on the release bearing, carrier and the slave cylinder problems?

Thanks again,

Fordieman 

Hi, it depends much on witch crankshaft it have, 4 or 6 bolt flywheel. Easiest way to check it if it fits is to measure the gearbox axle in the end where it isn´t any splines anymore. They are normally 17 mm (about 0,669 inch) but it could be 15 mm (about 0,59 inch) too. Then measure the hole in the crankshaft how big it is, then you will know if it fits.

If it have a small roller bearing it is for the smaller axle, but if it have a bronze bushing it´s for the larger gearbox axle.

The you hav to change the pressure plate to the MK1, it´s only bolt on. If you want the MK2 clutch you have to change the bellhouse, slave cylinder and probably the cylinder to the clutch pedal to MK2 to get the right ratio between the clutch cylinders.

Then if it have the 6-bolt flywheel it have a different startermotor too, the mk2 modell.

...and more

All Cortina MK1-2 and Anglias (Corsair and Consul Classic) have the same number of splines, 20. MK2 -Cortinas have a little shorter bellhouse than the others.

Thanks for help Speedgroup.

Ok,  this is my thoughts - The 2731(120E-2731) engine I have is a six bolt crankshaft with a 132 teeth flywheel. My 1500GT (120E-6015) engine has a four bolt crankshalf with a 110 teeth flywheel. Burton Power sells a 6 bolt fly wheel with 110 teeth (Part no. FP253A).  Will this not just bolt straight on? being able to then reuse the existing original clutch and starter motor?

https://www.burtonpower.com/steel-flywheel-7-5-clutch-ford-x-flow-ohv-kent-fp253a.html

https://view.publitas.com/burtonpower/2021-catalogue-pages/page/22

Thanks again,

Fordieman

Hi!

That 6 bolt with less teeth, same as original, fits. Clucth and starter should fit to. But the main problem is in the crankshaft how big the hole in the bearing is for the gearbox, the input shaft.

You have to check that first what size, diameter the gearbox have at that axle and then try measure the deeper hole in the bearing in the crankshaft. It´s could be possible to swich/change those bearings to get it right. 120E have a bronze bushing there and 2731 have bearing with small rolls there.

// Henrik (Henry in english)

cosul315: I have had two MK2 1500 that didn´t have 6-bolt crank, one 2731 and one 701M (!). But normally they have it as you said. But to fit the 2731 in the MK1 the cluch cover, bellhouse, is "shorter" in the MK2 with the diagram clutch. All MK1 have a little "longer" bellhouse and if you fit the diagram clutch it will work with the original MK1 system but it istn´t the best, because the angle of the clutch arm that keeps the "clutch bearing" will be quite strange.

Then I don´t know how the Burtons flywheels is designed because I have almost used original stuff.

But in my racing GT-Cortina -63 and racing Anglia I have used Ford Taunus/Sierra 1,6 OHC clutch cover and plate 190 mm and 20 splines and then the rest original. It´s a little stange angle on the cluch arm there too but had worked satisfying.

In this picture you will see the cluch cover and clutch plate... and one original and two lighted flywheels with 4 and 6 bolts.

26022016635.jpg

If you fit a 2731 6-bolt engine&flywheel, a mk1 bellhousing+box, and a mk2 Cortina diaphragm clutch, the carrier for the throwout bearing will be too short, so you will need an extension/spacer. Neil McCarty at 105Speed will sell you the spacer you need.