Sign in to follow this  
dxcgnoc

Cortina mk2 Savage Estate on mathewsons

Looks a good auction to be a seller a lot of the cars their are making top money 

I've known this particular car for the best part of thirty years. I did quite fancy being its new custodian (there was a "thread" on fb when it got collected along with the Lotus). Very sadly the time its spent in hiding, roughly two of those three decades haven't been kind to it, going by the video and still pictures Mathewsons have provided. In my humble opinion a total rebuild is on the "cards" unfortunately. 

This Scimitar has my interest at the moment https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134177878145?hash=item1f3d9ff081:g:NzsAAOSwD-Ni2FfA arguably more "Savage" than a Savage at the fraction of the price ?    :wine:

I was at Mathewson's yesterday, it's a closed shop, you can't get to view hardly any of the cars, but I know the estate, as I am more passionate about long roofs than any Ford, it looks good on first inspection, but that's it, budget a lot of money bringing it up to standard.

IMG_20220723_124724.jpg

Edited by GhiaMk4/5
Spelling

Tony Webster, the Scimitar is a beasty, my dad had a few Scimatars, even wrapping one around a telegraph pole, then Peter Smith Sports Cars rebuilt it, they did a . job and my dad ended up taking them to court and winning, I had a SE6 that was rear ended by a work colleague on his motorbike, luckily he hit a fibreglass car and not my 190E Cosworth I had at the same time as the Scimitar, there was an old gentleman near to me with a SE5 and a rover V8, but sadly he's now not with us and the Scimitar vanished.

15 hours ago, GhiaMk4/5 said:

Tony Webster, the Scimitar is a beasty, my dad had a few Scimatars, even wrapping one around a telegraph pole, then Peter Smith Sports Cars rebuilt it, they did a . job and my dad ended up taking them to court and winning, I had a SE6 that was rear ended by a work colleague on his motorbike, luckily he hit a fibreglass car and not my 190E Cosworth I had at the same time as the Scimitar, there was an old gentleman near to me with a SE5 and a rover V8, but sadly he's now not with us and the Scimitar vanished.

It makes you wonder why Reliant never offered the Rover (or any V8) as an option or alternative ? I'm quite interested in this one, I've even bid on it ! A Scimitar has been on my bucket list ever since I could afford to buy, run and Insure one, though a proper, "good" one, has never seemed to materialise ? And on the odd occasion when one did, life got in the way.  :wine:

15 hours ago, GhiaMk4/5 said:

I was at Mathewson's yesterday, it's a closed shop, you can't get to view hardly any of the cars, but I know the estate, as I am more passionate about long roofs than any Ford, it looks good on first inspection, but that's it, budget a lot of money bringing it up to standard.

IMG_20220723_124724.jpg

I know, that's the snag now with some of our cars buying them (at current prices) then budgeting on maybe spending several thousands on top to bring it up to standard. I bought my G.T. knowing I was in for a Piggy Bank emptying session. Once the budget had been blown and then doubled was I glad I could see the glimmering light at the end of the tunnel. ..... :wine:

6 hours ago, John Mack said:

That's a belter :thumbsup:

I'd agree :thumbsup:  :wine:

The savage made £22000    so someone liked it   and the scimiter on ebay made £ 16500   ,  I think i would prefer the savage  

regards D

10 hours ago, dxcgnoc said:

The savage made £22000    so someone liked it   and the scimiter on ebay made £ 16500   ,  I think i would prefer the savage  

regards D

I'm not sure the Scimitar actually sold. I had it on my watch list and at the end it appeared the reserve still hadn't been reached ?

For £22.5k I'd rather have this https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1481493 providing, I could live with the colour ?  :wine:

Edited by Tony Webster

Strong money for a major project, I should know, I have a 4 door GT Savage, it WAS rough, it's been a very expensive job, but someone had to do it.

Photos and a members car rebuild to follow.

1 hour ago, GhiaMk4/5 said:

Strong money for a major project, I should know, I have a 4 door GT Savage, it WAS rough, it's been a very expensive job, but someone had to do it.

Photos and a members car rebuild to follow.

surely worth it for the Benelite grill alone.

The price of everything is crazy these days, I remember when I first started driving with a tank on a quarter, it'd take £10 to fill up.

It's just a shame peoples wages haven't gone up at the same rate, we just have to rely on cars and house prices to fund the retirement.

in comparison, you can buy a vw polo for £38k

image.png

1 hour ago, Neil. said:

in comparison, you can buy a vw polo for £38k

image.png

Blimy ! Not too long ago they were "sub" £10k, or am I showing my age now ? :wine: