Sign in to follow this  
83-GLS

Orion Rear Lights into Mk5

Does anybody know how much you have to trim off the top of Orion lights to fit them into a Mk5 or have a template for doing it?

Or is it just a case of nibbling them out as I go to get a good fit?

Allways nibbled till it fitted, it's not a sealing part you trim and it's hiden by the the boot lid so not very important unless like me you'll keep going back and looking at it and anoying yourself :rolleyes:

Thanks Rob :thumbup:

Ive got a few spares so will hopefully get a good clean finish as I too would get annoyed as well looking at something I could have done better.

HI GUYS

JUST A WORD OF WARNING FROM SOMEONE WHO SPENT HOURS FETTELING ORION LIGHTS AT WORK TO FIT ON HIS TINA,

THEY LOOK OK FROM THE REAR BUT LOOK WRONG SIDE ON AS THEY GO FURTHER ROUND THE SIDE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LIGHT THAN THE TINA LIGHT BUT NOT AS FAR ROUND THE CORNER AT THE TOP OF THE LIGHT AS THEY HAVE A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT ANGLE ON THE END,

AND AS THE THAT THE BACK PLATE FITS INTO IS DEEPER THAN THE TINAS, ONLY THE SCREWS WILL HOLD THE LIGHT ON AS THE STUDS ARNT LONG ENOUGHT TO GO THROUGHT THE REAR PANEL

THIS RESULTS IN A GAP BIG ENOUGH FOR YOU TO BE ABLE TO " POST" YOUR KEYS INTO YOUR BOOT THOUGH THE GAP BETWEEN THE BODY AND THE LIGHT IN THE TOP WHERE IT GOES ROUND THE CORNER

SO GOT KNOWS HOW MUCH WATER WOULD GET IN

FOR INFO THOUGH FETTLE EDGE BACK INTILL ABOUT 20MM LEFT (ONLY NEED TO DO THIS ON TOP EDGE)

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU GUYS

AND MAYBE SAVES HOURS OF WORK TO END UP WITH JUST BAD LANGUAGE AND LIGHTS IN BIN

(HAVE BEEN THERE LOL)

LATERS

BRIAN

HI GUYS

JUST A WORD OF WARNING FROM SOMEONE WHO SPENT HOURS FETTELING ORION LIGHTS AT WORK TO FIT ON HIS TINA,

THEY LOOK OK FROM THE REAR BUT LOOK WRONG SIDE ON AS THEY GO FURTHER ROUND THE SIDE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LIGHT THAN THE TINA LIGHT BUT NOT AS FAR ROUND THE CORNER AT THE TOP OF THE LIGHT AS THEY HAVE A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT ANGLE ON THE END,

AND AS THE THAT THE BACK PLATE FITS INTO IS DEEPER THAN THE TINAS, ONLY THE SCREWS WILL HOLD THE LIGHT ON AS THE STUDS ARNT LONG ENOUGHT TO GO THROUGHT THE REAR PANEL

THIS RESULTS IN A GAP BIG ENOUGH FOR YOU TO BE ABLE TO " POST" YOUR KEYS INTO YOUR BOOT THOUGH THE GAP BETWEEN THE BODY AND THE LIGHT IN THE TOP WHERE IT GOES ROUND THE CORNER

SO GOT KNOWS HOW MUCH WATER WOULD GET IN

FOR INFO THOUGH FETTLE EDGE BACK INTILL ABOUT 20MM LEFT (ONLY NEED TO DO THIS ON TOP EDGE)

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU GUYS

AND MAYBE SAVES HOURS OF WORK TO END UP WITH JUST BAD LANGUAGE AND LIGHTS IN BIN

(HAVE BEEN THERE LOL)

LATERS

BRIAN

Thanks for the info Brian.

Can you post up some pictures if possible?

I have done this mod, and if the Orion lights are properly trimmed (there is a lot of fiddling to do as they touch in lots of places) they will fit and seal as well as the Cortina lights. When on properly the studs will correctly line up and come through where they should, and the nuts will secure the lights.

I have done this mod, and if the Orion lights are properly trimmed (there is a lot of fiddling to do as they touch in lots of places) they will fit and seal as well as the Cortina lights. When on properly the studs will correctly line up and come through where they should, and the nuts will secure the lights.

Did they take long to fit/trim Tim?

Didn't take too long, but you need to be patient as you will be trimming a bit, trial fitting them, trimming some more etc. I used the original Cortina lights as a guide as it gives you an idea of where to trim. The original cortina light bulb holder unit even fits in.