Nelly

Crossflow engine numbers

Stop off at a mates garage tonight and had a couple of crossflows in the corner.. being nosey was having a look around them and notice something a bit wierd... with the engine number...

I know if you see AA = 1300 and BA = 1600

but i have never seen DA.. thought it was a B without the center but scrapped it with a screw driver and i cant see any evidence of it being there... any body shed any light on it... Fake or real?

SP_A0078_001.jpg

SP_A0079_000.jpg

Have seen a couple of 681F 6015DA blocks myself, I reckon they are 1968-69 1600 xflows.

Don't know the difference between the 6015BA and 6015DA though?

thanks for the reply magnus thought i was going mad that i was only 1 to have seen this...

Found this site http://thekentlives.com/thekentengine.htm and it says its a tall deck what ever that means???

681F6015DA (or 6915) - Tall deck crossflow 1600cc

thanks for the reply magnus thought i was going mad that i was only 1 to have seen this...

Found this site http://thekentlives.com/thekentengine.htm and it says its a tall deck what ever that means???

EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS ON EBAY!!

EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS ON EBAY!!

Funnily enough, the recon 681F6015DA in your ebay link has the stronger square "uprated" main caps, like on the 1969-70 691M and 1971- 711M xflows?

I thought the 681F xflows usually had the "non-uprated" round main caps?

Or could that be the difference between the 681F6015DA and the 681F6015BA, i.e. the DA has square main caps, while the BA has round main caps?

Or probably not, as the block "wouldn't know" one type of caps from the other...

Haven't seen that site before, some interesting info there!

BTW, while on the subject of x-flow blocks, noticed how the mags always tell you to go for the uprated square main caps 711M blocks for tuning purposes?

And they'll tell you all pre-1971 x-flows had the weaker round main caps, so avoid them.

Well, the 1969-70 Mk2s had the 691M blocks, complete with square main caps and smaller (lighter) cam followers as well...

Funnily enough, the recon 681F6015DA in your ebay link has the stronger square "uprated" main caps, like on the 1969-70 691M and 1971- 711M xflows?

I thought the 681F xflows usually had the "non-uprated" round main caps?

Or could that be the difference between the 681F6015DA and the 681F6015BA, i.e. the DA has square main caps, while the BA has round main caps?

Or probably not, as the block "wouldn't know" one type of caps from the other...

perhaps they were added as part of the rebuild? :winner: