Sign in to follow this  
mk4savage

MK4 anti roll bar link bushes

Has anybody got experience of changing the anti roll bar link bushes apart from the cut in half technique or the polybush route ? 

I know there's a special tool to install them but I've got no idea what one looks like. 

I did some years ago using sockets/threaded bar/screwdrivers/swearing but it was a ballache of a job as I remember and I think the bushes ended up slightly marked in the process. 

After my recent ball joint change I noticed my bushes are worse than I thought so it's one of the next jobs on the list. Cheers

Polybushes are 2 piece & a doddle to fit the rubber ones a pita  even with the correct tool ( not seen one for years).

I've certainly considered the poly ones. I'm not 100 % a fan of poly. I've got them on the rear axle and although it keeps the axle where it should be I get vibration transmitted to the body. 

Reading the workshop manual earlier shows the tool being some sort of tube that the new bush is pressed into. You have to remove the arb and use a hydraulic press according to the book. 

Do you know if the poly arb link bushes have a sleeve running through the middle ? 

Edited by mk4savage

I can't remember to be honest.

I've said on here many times I've only ever had problems with cheap brands of poly bushes re fit & quality so only fit good brands.

8 hours ago, mk4savage said:

Do you know if the poly arb link bushes have a sleeve running through the middle ? 

I fitted polys, there's definitely no sleeve running through the middle of the bush (if that's what you meant?).   The only "sleeve" used is the tube which the bolt goes through and separates the lower bushes from the top......if that makes sense?! 

14 minutes ago, John Mack said:

I fitted polys, there's definitely no sleeve running through the middle of the bush (if that's what you meant?).   The only "sleeve" used is the tube which the bolt goes through and separates the lower bushes from the top......if that makes sense?! 

Makes sense yes. I know exactly what you mean. I was just thinking back to when I superflexed the rear axle and the bushes came with a stainless tube. I thought the arb ones might be the same. 

5 hours ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

I can't remember to be honest.

I've said on here many times I've only ever had problems with cheap brands of poly bushes re fit & quality so only fit good brands.

Don't worry Craig, I'm the same. I don't like cheapo brands. If I go the poly route I'll be looking into getting superflex if they do them. I have them on the tie bars at the front of the subframe.