Sign in to follow this  
XR6

5 Speed Too Essex

On the left is a five speed and on the right a four I noticed that the five has a longer shalf will this cause me problems when fitting it to a essex lump also what other problems will I face

post-1556-1170618887_thumb.jpg

Yes the shaft needs to be shortend.

Also, the clutch you need to watch out for too.

I fitted a 5 Speed to mine and didn't like it to be honest.

I know a guy who had a 4 Speed Scimitar box fitted to his with the Laycock overdrive unit. In my opinion this would be a better option, the type 9 isnt the best of gearboxes, in terms of feel and strength.

wouldn't it be easyer to start off with a 4 pot box with the shorter input shaft?

to fit type 9 V6 box to an essex you need a V4 capri or granada bellhouseing & then shaft needs cutting back so its flush with end of bellhouseing.

essex powered scimitars with od use the old sidelinkage box from the mk4 zodiac ratios are terrible & so is gearchange, best left in the aircraft carrier.

Side linkage or not, a stronger, more usable box than the type 9.

Think I,ll stick with the four speed its a lot less hassle

Side linkage or not, a stronger, more usable box than the type 9.

156911[/snapback]

ive never had trouble with the type9. apart from the cold gear change there an exellent box

me neither dale, i ran a hot 3 litre cologne through one with nitrous and gave it pain all the time, still running fine today after 3 years and my new one has a type 9 five speed with an essex, ran great on test...............

Is shortening the shaft easy ? what will I have to do?

TinTin

mine was bought ready done by steve taylor so im not sure, ask him, he will tell you......... :rolleyes:

me neither dale, i ran a hot 3 litre cologne through one with nitrous and gave it pain all the time, still running fine today after 3 years and my new one has a type 9 five speed with an essex, ran great on test...............

156951[/snapback]

yep assuming its the same box, its as sweet as a nut

cut with angle grinder & put taper back on like original. hard bit is finding a bell houseing.

zody box ends up with sloppy change due to the external linkages wearing as it was originaly a column change box .

Will the bellhousing from the 4 speed fit?

no as it has hydraulic clutch & box is same 3 rail type as V6 so box to bellhouseing bolt pattern is wrong.

the V4 capri & granada used a 4 speed type 9 box with the essex V4 & therefore is the only bellhouseing that has the correct bolt pattern to mount the essexV4/6 to the type 9 4/5 speed box.