Sign in to follow this  
kevp

A few problems

Took a double take at my near side front tyre yesterday the outer rim of the tyre was down to the steel weave!!, have put another tyre on and think the wheel might have been a bit loose as the nuts came off really easy. However was wondering about the camber. As i understand it pre face lift tinas don't have a camber adjustment so was wondering would it be worn upper and lower ball joints? the bearing seems fine too

Second problem, my carb (standard single choke on a 72 1600 OHV) is running rich, i can find stacks of stuff identifying that it is rich but nothing on how to adjust it. PLUS! i have no special tunning tools is there a way or should i just take it to the garage?

And just to cap it off i snapped off a drop handle when closing my door yesterday!!!! :lol: :lol:

Non of em have camber adjustment it's just the later face lift had more neg camber, if it's worn the outside edge that bad it must have lots of posative camber (ball joints ect) or the tracking is well out or the castor on that side is out, has it had tie bars rod bushes recently?

Jack it up and check for play if youy cant find any i'd get the tracking checked but TBH honset if it's only the very edge, the wheel should be notably different in angle to the other side :lol:

A screw driver will do the carb, hang on i'll scan a pic from the manual

Edited by bortaf

Here you go , of course first check the choke isn't stuck on , No 18 does the mixture on idle, after that the jets control the mixture so they may need a good clean, carb cleaner in a spray tin does wonders and is under a fiver :lol:

siglechokewebber.jpg

Edited by bortaf

Here you go , of course first check the choke isn't stuck on , No 18 does the mixture on idle, after that the jets control the mixture so they may need a good clean, carb cleaner in a spray tin does wonders and is under a fiver :winner:

siglechokewebber.jpg

Thanks Bortaf, another daft question clockwise or anti clock wise to make it more lean?

Non of em have camber adjustment it's just the later face lift had more neg camber, if it's worn the outside edge that bad it must have lots of posative camber (ball joints ect) or the tracking is well out or the castor on that side is out, has it had tie bars rod bushes recently?

Jack it up and check for play if youy cant find any i'd get the tracking checked but TBH honset if it's only the very edge, the wheel should be notably different in angle to the other side :cheers:

A screw driver will do the carb, hang on i'll scan a pic from the manual

Been having another look at the wheel angle, looked yestrday as i was in a flat car park, both front wheels are definately in a 'V' shape. went to my local garage they ar happy to do the wheel alignment but need the gauge settings as they haven't got them for a 72 mk3 :unsure: does anyone know what the settings are? mean while i've got a new steering rack to fit before i take it for alignment. Thinking back i had new track rod ends fitted by a different garage about a year ago (MOT) :cheers: Mmmm could probably be th culprit me thinks

They might not have set the toe in after doing the rod ends and maybe it is toed in however that should affect both front tyres.

You turn the screw clockwise (in) to lean it out. Have the engine at a warm idle with the choke off and slowly turn it in until it starts to run rough and then out to where you get a smooth enough idle.

They might not have set the toe in after doing the rod ends and maybe it is toed in however that should affect both front tyres.

You turn the screw clockwise (in) to lean it out. Have the engine at a warm idle with the choke off and slowly turn it in until it starts to run rough and then out to where you get a smooth enough idle.

Hi Dave,

It is probably the toe angle, both tyres are affected both seem to be running one the outside 2 inches of the tyre, although i have had to change the near side, the off side is going as well but still legal, hope to get the rack fitted this week and get it sorted, thats assumption for you thinking they would check the settings after fitting :cheers:

oh yes thanks for the carb info :unsure:

Edited by kevp

Set the tracking to zero (thats what most tyre shops set it at) TBH usually when the tracking is out one wheel will run true the other will be well out instead of both being a liitle bit out.

To get the damage you are getting i'd say it must be well out and IMHO any half decent tyre shop will have suggested zero as a temp measure or even as the recomended setting, due to wear in the suss and body getting it spot on is a waist of time :unsure:

Set the tracking to zero (thats what most tyre shops set it at) TBH usually when the tracking is out one wheel will run true the other will be well out instead of both being a liitle bit out.

To get the damage you are getting i'd say it must be well out and IMHO any half decent tyre shop will have suggested zero as a temp measure or even as the recomended setting, due to wear in the suss and body getting it spot on is a waist of time :winner:

well had a great weekend, fitted a new steering rack and track rod ends, fitted superflex bushes to my rear suspension arms, i know it's been said before but what a difference they make!! and had my wheel alignment/tracking sorted, they were well out so hopefully will have rectified the worn tyre senario :rofl:

many thanks to all for your tips and suggestions :winner:

Nice one :cheers:

keep us informed if it sorts it :cheers:

which door handle did you break, i had the same problem and now have a few spare

which door handle did you break, i had the same problem and now have a few spare

It was the drop handle on the inner door, one of the hinges broke, mine are a tan colour, if you have one that would be great :cheers:

It was the drop handle on the inner door, one of the hinges broke, mine are a tan colour, if you have one that would be great :cheers:

its one of these

post-2083-1205346273_thumb.jpg

if not i've found 2.

if not i've found 2.

Hi Craig,

That would be great could you PM me how much you would like for them :winner: