racyjacy 72

bad oil leak

I"ve just driven home from work,down the M11,when i stopped i noticed smoke under the bonnet :tears: Oppened the bonnet & saw oil everywhere,anyway it looks to be coming from the oil filler cap. I haven"t overfilled it with oil,as i checked the other day and it was fine. The engine still sounds & runs o.k,but i"m worried about the amount of oil thats leaking,i only did approx 20 miles.Any advive would be greatly recieved! :car:

I"ve just driven home from work,down the M11,when i stopped i noticed smoke under the bonnet :tears: Oppened the bonnet & saw oil everywhere,anyway it looks to be coming from the oil filler cap. I haven"t overfilled it with oil,as i checked the other day and it was fine. The engine still sounds & runs o.k,but i"m worried about the amount of oil thats leaking,i only did approx 20 miles.Any advive would be greatly recieved! :car:

Did you locate the PCV valve and is it in place? If it is, is it sucking okay? Make sure the hose between the PCV valve and the intake manifold is not collapsed etc. Not sure which engine you have but if there is a hose to the top of the oil cap it is a breather tube and should be connected to something, usually the air cleaner. If this tube becomes plugged or whatever it goes to (like a little filter) is plugged, the engine will push the oil out wherever it can. If it is a venting type oil cap, make sure it is not plugged and that you can blow through the bottom of the cap.

Did you locate the PCV valve and is it in place? If it is, is it sucking okay? Make sure the hose between the PCV valve and the intake manifold is not collapsed etc. Not sure which engine you have but if there is a hose to the top of the oil cap it is a breather tube and should be connected to something, usually the air cleaner. If this tube becomes plugged or whatever it goes to (like a little filter) is plugged, the engine will push the oil out wherever it can. If it is a venting type oil cap, make sure it is not plugged and that you can blow through the bottom of the cap.

:) Cheers Dave,i"ll have a look now.Its a 2 litre pinto.

sounds like it could be to me mate, if the valve blocks or is stuck shut the crankcase will pressurise and blow it out the filler cap.

Yep sounds like the PCV to me too, it's down on the passenger side near the engine mount.

Cheers Rob & Fred. :cheers: I"ve had another look today,it looks like the rocker cover gasket is leaking too,so i"ve replaced that today.Sorry if i seem silly or arrogant,but how do i see if the pcv valve is blocked,( i"m completely clueless,honest ). :winner: It took me about 3 hours to do a rocker cover gasket! lol :blink: :winner: :blink: :winner:

Take the pipe off the inlet manifold and the PCV valve will lift out the flame trap, clean it then give a suck and see if the valve moves inside it might just be gummed up, as a quick fix you can fit a sierra oil filler cap as they are vented and run a pipe from it into a can on the inner wing but TBH it wont take more than 10 mins to clean and replace.

sorry i didn't ring you back mate been out all day just got in :winner:

Take the pipe off the inlet manifold and the PCV valve will lift out the flame trap, clean it then give a suck and see if the valve moves inside it might just be gummed up, as a quick fix you can fit a sierra oil filler cap as they are vented and run a pipe from it into a can on the inner wing but TBH it wont take more than 10 mins to clean and replace.

sorry i didn't ring you back mate been out all day just got in :cheers:

Oh thats o.k mate,just glad to get some advice! :winner: I will try that tommorrow tho mate,as i think it has got an oil blockage :winner: Also now when you rev it is sounds like it has a cammy? knock :winner:

sorry i didn't ring you back mate been out all day just got in :blink:

Right i"ve just taken the hose and PCV valve off,the valve was gummed up,but easy to free,the pipe was clear.What i have noticed is that on revving the engine,there seems to be a fair bit of smoke from the oil filler cap <_< Also i"ve got a cammy knock now,just changed the oil too cos it was filthy! Again,any advice would be greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:

sorry i didn't ring you back mate been out all day just got in :D

Right i"ve just taken the hose and PCV valve off,the valve was gummed up,but easy to free,the pipe was clear.What i have noticed is that on revving the engine,there seems to be a fair bit of smoke from the oil filler cap :blink: Also i"ve got a cammy knock now,just changed the oil too cos it was filthy! Again,any advice would be greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:

Oh,and thanks for advice so far <_<

If you are still getting alot of smoke from the oil cap even with the PCV valve refitted and sucking, you may have excessive blow-by in the engine which isnt good. Blow-by means that compression in the cylinder is blowing past the piston rings into the crankcase where it escapes wherever it can, through seals etc but mainly through the oil filler cap or dipstick tube. A compression test will help determine the condition of the piston rings however if you are getting a knocking from the engine that is something else and may require tracing down with the help of a stethescope or the trained ear of a mechanic friend.

As the others have said, try the pcv valve cos if it sticks, back pressure builds up and oil blows out all over the place. Its also a cheap thing to replace and I always try cheapest first ! Have a look at this mate,

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=4&amp;pub=5574629005&amp;toolid=10001&amp;campid=5335900709&amp;customid=&amp;mpre=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=004

Hope this helps. :blink:

As the others have said, try the pcv valve cos if it sticks, back pressure builds up and oil blows out all over the place. Its also a cheap thing to replace and I always try cheapest first ! Have a look at this mate,

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=4&amp;pub=5574629005&amp;toolid=10001&amp;campid=5335900709&amp;customid=&amp;mpre=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=004

Hope this helps. :cheers:

:cheers: Cheers mate,i"ll try that. Did take the pipe off,but it wasn"t blocked,altho that valve was gummed up. What i"m finding is the car is fine around town,but as soon as i hit the M11,if i go above 50- 60mph,its spaying oil up from the filler cap,thing is it has to be used on the m-way because of where i work. Spoke to a mechanic yesterday, Dave,he said basically the same as you,the tapping is apparently the cam lobe worn? Apparently thats not serious,but the oil backpressure could be worn rings he thinks :cheers: Taking you guys advice and getting a new PCV valve first :cheers:

So it's not just a bad sealing oil cap is it? Well a better sealing oil cap with a breather tube to an oil jug hung on the inner wing as Bortaf mentioned would work for a bit.

So it's not just a bad sealing oil cap is it? Well a better sealing oil cap with a breather tube to an oil jug hung on the inner wing as Bortaf mentioned would work for a bit.
Hi Dave,i think it could be something simple after all,hopefully! The last few days,she"s still throwing a little oil out,but not half as bad.I know that up to about Tuesday,even the exhaust manifold was getting sprayed in oil,but not now. I think that you guys are right,so as a result,i think a new PCV valve is on the cards,maybe i"m to hasty in condemming the engine! :rolleyes: She does tend to smoke on tickover,but clears when driving.Can a worn oil pump cause these problems,or could it be where maybe the car hasn"t been used for a while,cos i"m using daily now,and tbh,she"s not using as much oil as she did.I"ve also changed the oil,cheers,Jason.