Sign in to follow this  
mk2 addict

how to remove mk2 cigar lighter from dash?

Hello, i am in the process of fully stripping my mk2 and I have stripped everything from the dash exept for the cigarette lighter and the heater control bezel and cant work out how to get them off with out braking them?

The car is a series 2 super.

Cheers. Matt

Edited by mk2 addict

cigar lighter - reach up behind the dash and pull off the three wires to the light - a main feed to the center, one to the lightbulb (mounted on the side of the lighter unit) and the earth, a flat female spade. Then you need to unscrew the outer body behind the dash in relation to the center body in front of the dash (having taken the lighter out :oops: ) Sometimes I've found it easier to try and hold the center part still and reach up under the dash to turn the outer part.

For the heater control suround, first you need to remove the two rubbers on the end of the control arms. For both you'll find theres a tiny cross head screw that goes in from underneath - remove the screw and then pull the rubber towards you. The suround itself just pulls off - start it very carefully by easing something blunt and soft under one of its edges (take care not to dig the vinyl on the dash). Once you've got it going you should be able to get it free with your fingers, but don't pull too hard - firstly the pins that hold it in place are just glued onto the back of it, and secondly because they are only quite thin and easily bent if you manage to pull it up against the control arms.

To get the suround past the control arms have them in the same position (one directly above the other) and turn the suround 90 degrees to sue the slot in the suround to clear the angle on the arms

Take the lighter element out and unscrew the inner piece .Bezel is seperate and there are screws underneath to remove the heater levers.

cheers quy's will give it a go! :cheers:

So how did it go? I sometimes find it easier to turn the inside of the lighter socket (get it started with a flat blade screwdriver into one of the slots) as the piece on the rear bites into the housing too hard to get turning.