cortina-city

My Latest - MK3 GXL 71 Model

Stephen

I may do same on my brake run. Just ordered the cupro-nickel pipe and ive ordered a pack of each clips: plastic and metal, ill see what happens. The clips are in packs of 25, so ill have spares, you want me to send the spare ones (plastic)?

Im just working out how the fuel line goes back together, on mine it appears to be as follows (going from carb to tank)

carb with hose clip, rubber pipe to inline disc type filter with either hose or pinch (spring type)clips in gold i have found 2 different photos showing both, from filter, rubber to fuel pump with hose clip or again pinch clips, this time the 3 pronged black ones, fuel pump to cross member solid pipe (3 prong pinch clip) across the front cross member sub frame via the metal tube, then pinch clip to rubber hose, then rubber hose to plastic pipe using 3 prong pincg clip, then 8mm plastic clips along inner wing chassis rail until it goes to main chassis run on more 8mm clips, then up rear chassis leg on the slide on type saddles in black , then on to rubber using 3 prong pinch clip across to sender pick up again on 3 prong pinch clips.

i have ordered all the parts to replicate this.

one thing i noticed, i just got my new fuel tank, i had it powder coated, the fuel sender can be inserted and twisted in different positions, looking at it the outlet pipe of the sender seems to be corect at the 10'o clock position relative to seam join on the tank. however yoou could twist it to the wrong position quite easily, there seems to be no bump stop as it where.Ive looked at my green gxl and set it the same

pete

Thanks Pete,

An inline fuel filter was added to my Cortina in the late 1980s and so I'm not sure how the pipe fixings originally went between the fuel pump and the carb. Plus also when the car was at a so called Ford "restorer" (which I use in the loosest of terms) in Martock in Somerset a number of years ago he liberated the car of the fuel hose plus loads of other bits (it's a long story and probably could have lost the car).

In my box of fixings etc removed from the car I had 4 of the three pronged fuel pipe clips which I had replated and there are another 2 (yet to be plated) still on the remains of the rubber fuel hose on the fuel tank sender unit.

So from front to back I imagine that from the steel fuel pipe that fixes on the front cross-member (under the engine on my 1.6) there would be two clips on either end of rubber fuel pipe from the steel pipe to the fuel pump and another two at either of the small section of hose from the steel fuel pipe to the 8 mm clear plastic petrol pipe that attaches to the chassis rails. I have found two of the black plastic saddle clips one one the front chassis rail and another on the rear chassis rail above the rear axle. There was also a metal clip (similar to the three clips that attaches the brake pipes to the upper and lower bulkhead) to attach the clear plastic 8mm fuel pipe to a bracket welded to the floorpan adjacent to where the lower rear suspension arm attaches to the rear chassis rail. I re-fabricated this bracket as all this area (floor and chassis rail) on my Mark 4 had to be replaced including the bracket that very little of it remained and so I'm hoping that I got it right! I haven't seen any new re-production clips that match the saddle clips fitted to my Mark 4. The only ones that I have seen are twin pipe ones that are the same as fitted to my Granada.

If you have any plastic brake pipe clips left I would be very interested - please let me know much you want for them.

All the brake pipes will be removed again this weekend. I stupidly marked the brake servo when Brett and myself were working on the car on Saturday. I allowed the NOS choke cable to rub on the edge of the servo :smashcomp: . I had only refitted it (again) a few hours earlier as I wasn't happy with the paint finish on the mounting brackets (which I took back to bare metal again). So when the servo is off the pipes will be removed at the same time and I'll take the opportunity to repaint them (again) as the paint finish has become damaged in places particularly the long pipe from front to back due to trying to fix it in the metal pipe clips.

I looked on the Bresco site as you recommended for the plastic clips for the 8mm plastic fuel pipe. Unfortunately they are in a slightly darker grey than the ones originally on my car which were a shade lighter in colour than battleship grey - I'll now get my coat! :sofa:

I started to clean up the petrol tank and after a few minutes I realised that it is sadly scrap. There seems to be a number of possible suppliers for these tanks - who would you recommend? I think that I would also go for a powder coated finish in silver.

Thanks for your help - hopefully it would great if we could be able to get both cars at Monmouth in June. :thumbup:

Thanks again

Stephen

Fancy wearing brogues on the beach, so not cool. :thumbdown:

Looking good Pete, no video. :smashcomp:

here you go Mark..

Edited by cortina-city

here you go Mark..

So exiting!!

When will it get smoke through the pipe exhaust?

This year I plan to go to classic ford show? Will swampy be there?

regs

Antonio

Thanks Pete,

An inline fuel filter was added to my Cortina in the late 1980s and so I'm not sure how the pipe fixings originally went between the fuel pump and the carb. Plus also when the car was at a so called Ford "restorer" (which I use in the loosest of terms) in Martock in Somerset a number of years ago he liberated the car of the fuel hose plus loads of other bits (it's a long story and probably could have lost the car).

In my box of fixings etc removed from the car I had 4 of the three pronged fuel pipe clips which I had replated and there are another 2 (yet to be plated) still on the remains of the rubber fuel hose on the fuel tank sender unit.

So from front to back I imagine that from the steel fuel pipe that fixes on the front cross-member (under the engine on my 1.6) there would be two clips on either end of rubber fuel pipe from the steel pipe to the fuel pump and another two at either of the small section of hose from the steel fuel pipe to the 8 mm clear plastic petrol pipe that attaches to the chassis rails. I have found two of the black plastic saddle clips one one the front chassis rail and another on the rear chassis rail above the rear axle. There was also a metal clip (similar to the three clips that attaches the brake pipes to the upper and lower bulkhead) to attach the clear plastic 8mm fuel pipe to a bracket welded to the floorpan adjacent to where the lower rear suspension arm attaches to the rear chassis rail. I re-fabricated this bracket as all this area (floor and chassis rail) on my Mark 4 had to be replaced including the bracket that very little of it remained and so I'm hoping that I got it right! I haven't seen any new re-production clips that match the saddle clips fitted to my Mark 4. The only ones that I have seen are twin pipe ones that are the same as fitted to my Granada.

If you have any plastic brake pipe clips left I would be very interested - please let me know much you want for them.

All the brake pipes will be removed again this weekend. I stupidly marked the brake servo when Brett and myself were working on the car on Saturday. I allowed the NOS choke cable to rub on the edge of the servo :smashcomp: . I had only refitted it (again) a few hours earlier as I wasn't happy with the paint finish on the mounting brackets (which I took back to bare metal again). So when the servo is off the pipes will be removed at the same time and I'll take the opportunity to repaint them (again) as the paint finish has become damaged in places particularly the long pipe from front to back due to trying to fix it in the metal pipe clips.

I looked on the Bresco site as you recommended for the plastic clips for the 8mm plastic fuel pipe. Unfortunately they are in a slightly darker grey than the ones originally on my car which were a shade lighter in colour than battleship grey - I'll now get my coat! :sofa:

I started to clean up the petrol tank and after a few minutes I realised that it is sadly scrap. There seems to be a number of possible suppliers for these tanks - who would you recommend? I think that I would also go for a powder coated finish in silver.

Thanks for your help - hopefully it would great if we could be able to get both cars at Monmouth in June. :thumbup:

Thanks again

Stephen

Stephen, thanks

well I got my tank form oldparts store, then had it coated, it looks ok to me but im not sure how orginal you want yours, mine is not an orginal finish but it looks well.

the clips i have for the brake line are from Bresco so they wont be the colour you need. This is what i mean about concors, my level is not quite to the extent of the shade of colour but i understand you want it right. i have also to be realistic and once exhausted my search i have to opt for next best otherwise i wont make the road . it does depend on what part of the car it is though. i wont accept anything other than factory on some of my items.

the only chance we have for clips is NOS ford, i have looked at newfordparts but not found much yet, though theres a lot to look thru, its also worht sending an email to Dave at oldpartstore, in case he has , or finds any.

i hope to make Monmouth, I hope you can too.

Pete

was looking forward to that pete...its great as i have learnt alot of detail i never knew about....putty between indicators and panel for instants...as soon as one vid is posted i want the next one.....you are a pusher m8..............you have me hooked so bad... :rolleyes:

double bill for the boys n gals

You weren't messing with that ignition barrel. The mistake I always make is to forget to check things like the key operation throughout the process, and end up cocking it up.

It's all looking very nice. I've just finished working, started 8am this morning so I am now looking forward to the vid as my treat.

You weren't messing with that ignition barrel. The mistake I always make is to forget to check things like the key operation throughout the process, and end up cocking it up.

It's all looking very nice. I've just finished working, started 8am this morning so I am now looking forward to the vid as my treat.

its prob not as action packed as the usual vids

so you do long hours too?

welcome.

ha yes looked like i checked the barrell enough times!

i havnt forgotton to include the boot light mod for you in next vid

and that i have paint, wiring and trim for you, its all saved PM when you want it sent if not the yat

thanks Rich, you and BSC boys n girls keep this going for me

been doing the fuel tank tonight it looks good, and finished the quad lights. they took a lot of effort to make them look like factory units and they are MEGA bright.

ive used nightbreaker bulbs and of course with the beefy wiring and relays and the new reflector bowls they are the business

Yhea man, Thats self employment for ya! . I was supposed to be going to the coast with my wife rather than working but the job came in yesterday eve and was just sent off now. Was a nice bit of storyboarding for a corporate add for some Mclaren F1 team associates but more work than I envisaged but you cant not do a good job for clients like that if you want more work from them.

Settling down to watch now mate.

:thumbup:

He's Cool He's Calm He can handle the pressure (THE SHOW MUST GO ON)!!! :rambo: :superman: Pete C keeping the standards.....

Yhea man, Thats self employment for ya! . I was supposed to be going to the coast with my wife rather than working but the job came in yesterday eve and was just sent off now. Was a nice bit of storyboarding for a corporate add for some Mclaren F1 team associates but more work than I envisaged but you cant not do a good job for clients like that if you want more work from them.

Settling down to watch now mate.

:thumbup:

Keep it quality Rich, you are a true artist, superb all the work ive seen from you, hoping your in high deamnd and renumerated accordingly, im the same ive had a couple of big contracts come in and have been workign on getting the job to run like clockwork, coming home then doing the car, weekends are for the wife and shes ok with me on the car in the week, promised her some big hols when its all done

He's Cool He's Calm He can handle the pressure (THE SHOW MUST GO ON)!!! :rambo: :superman: Pete C keeping the standards.....

Ken im hanging in there baby ......just

That spray nozzle for the wax is a cracking bit of kit! I think I prefer your rostyles to the chromed versions, they look spot on.

spent last 2 days non stop on the beast

well i shoe horned the dash in, what a job. trying to get all my extra systems fitted behind the dash proved fun.

theres not a lot of space just down where the freash air duct sits beneath the radio and thats where most my modules lived! had to move a few things. luckily i had left play in the looms so i got the dash in and all the electrics are now live.

fuel tank is in.

if i fitted the engine and axle, plumbed the brakes up, it would start and drive.