cortina-city

My Latest project 1971 4 Door GXL

been a long month sorting the A4 gearbox, I finally finished the gearbox mounts and removed old mounts and repaired the area so that it blends in. All evidence of old mounts has gone and I tried to make a factory look for the new mounts. The next step is to take the shell to the painters next week.

post-3360-083952400 1480017101_thumb.jpg

post-3360-067833300 1480017102_thumb.jpg

post-3360-046221500 1480017103_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Spot on,awesome job i like it a lot dude :wub:

Spot on,awesome job i like it a lot dude :wub:

thanks steve

it was harder than I thought trying to make a factory style gearbox mount

it was getting it to shape to the profile that was hardest, however the technique I used worked as I mounted box first then welded the frame of the brackets in place, then later made the rest of the mount boxed in using 1.5 steel shapes that I cut to suit profile. seam sealed and re-gravitex the area, ground back the old mounts. had to mig a few spot weld holes up where the old mounts were as they were stubborn to remove the old traces of the mounts.

thanks steve

it was harder than I thought trying to make a factory style gearbox mount

it was getting it to shape to the profile that was hardest, however the technique I used worked as I mounted box first then welded the frame of the brackets in place, then later made the rest of the mount boxed in using 1.5 steel shapes that I cut to suit profile. seam sealed and re-gravitex the area, ground back the old mounts. had to mig a few spot weld holes up where the old mounts were as they were stubborn to remove the old traces of the mounts.

can't wait to have a ride in it, see how well it goes :car:

This mk3 will be buzzing like a pylon there's that much gadgetry inside. How you figure this stuff out is well beyond me sir, excellent stuff love it. 👍🏼

Buzzing like a Pylon rofl.gif

It sure is going to be a car that makes you question why spend £20k on a new one when this has much more to offer. Can't wait to see it Done.

thanks lads

quick update

been off 2 weeks for R and R

back on it, Dave is picking up shell tomorrow for delivery to paint shop

I had shell on the spinner and had a little sleep/ daydream whilst laying under car, its a great way to clear your mind and spot little jobs

suprising how many small details you need to nail before paint.

so I went into a bit of a trance and tried to visualise every outcome, I spotted a few more little things and tuned the shell up, few little bits of seam seal, little tisy up on a weld etc, missing spot welds, little touches on the doors, just little detailed things, so I did a few final preps. I also fitted the sound dead pads to the doors so they will be colour coded to the paint, fitted some dynamat to the roof (as its headlining straight from paint shop) I cleaned up a few more plug welds that I missed, made sure the spot weld dimples all looked right, just kept going over the shell, spun it all ways then laid back on some cardboard sheets and had another doze........woke up, then saw some other tiny details, anyway I cleaned and blew the dust out, double checked all the gaping, checked and checked again all doors were closing smooth on door rubbers, I fitted the internal looms for interior lights as haedlinng is going on straight afer paint, as said, then went over the engine bay again, made sure all holes were there for fuel lines, wiring harness etc, kept checking and checking again, then eventually decided shell is ready for paintwork.

next ill be getting engine built and clean up the axle.

already got the interior in for trimming

most of work is done, its just a case of bolting it all up

gotta rebuild the clip, but as seen on thread all powder coating is done.

ill work on dealer stickers and finer details over next few months

wiring loom is all finished, drilled holes in doors for mirrors, im struggling to find things now

Sit back and relax put the feet up and watch some quality reality TV (as if you could do that). 😂😂

You're well ahead of the game pal enjoy what little time you have till all the bits and bobs cone back.

Sit back and relax put the feet up and watch some quality reality TV

:rofl:

the chances of that are less than you winning the euromillions jackpot

Sit back and relax put the feet up and watch some quality reality TV (as if you could do that). 😂😂

You're well ahead of the game pal enjoy what little time you have till all the bits and bobs cone back.

thanks Ken

would rather count any missing spotwelds than watch telly :-)

not watched telly now for 5 months, never even switched it on. Ill prob never watch TV again.

a bit of a withdrawel from society is where im at.

and for now, I don't mind.

stepping back and looking how world has regressed im not worried.

that said, when car is done I shall be a fully functional member of society, hell I may even buy an electric tin opener.

thanks lads

quick update

been off 2 weeks for R and R

back on it, Dave is picking up shell tomorrow for delivery to paint shop

I had shell on the spinner and had a little sleep/ daydream whilst laying under car, its a great way to clear your mind and spot little jobs

suprising how many small details you need to nail before paint.

so I went into a bit of a trance and tried to visualise every outcome, I spotted a few more little things and tuned the shell up, few little bits of seam seal, little tisy up on a weld etc, missing spot welds, little touches on the doors, just little detailed things, so I did a few final preps. I also fitted the sound dead pads to the doors so they will be colour coded to the paint, fitted some dynamat to the roof (as its headlining straight from paint shop) I cleaned up a few more plug welds that I missed, made sure the spot weld dimples all looked right, just kept going over the shell, spun it all ways then laid back on some cardboard sheets and had another doze........woke up, then saw some other tiny details, anyway I cleaned and blew the dust out, double checked all the gaping, checked and checked again all doors were closing smooth on door rubbers, I fitted the internal looms for interior lights as haedlinng is going on straight afer paint, as said, then went over the engine bay again, made sure all holes were there for fuel lines, wiring harness etc, kept checking and checking again, then eventually decided shell is ready for paintwork.

next ill be getting engine built and clean up the axle.

already got the interior in for trimming

most of work is done, its just a case of bolting it all up

gotta rebuild the clip, but as seen on thread all powder coating is done.

ill work on dealer stickers and finer details over next few months

wiring loom is all finished, drilled holes in doors for mirrors, im struggling to find things now

Sorry Pete but did you forget to add the pictures I see nothing??

pics tomorrow eve.........

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Shell s finally away for paint

thanks Dave

post-3360-014070400 1481239975_thumb.jpg

post-3360-055891100 1481239978_thumb.jpg

post-3360-007067400 1481239980_thumb.jpg

post-3360-051936100 1481239981_thumb.jpg

post-3360-098877500 1481239982_thumb.jpg

Nice one :thumbup: a born again cortina rolls off for paint.

wow!,, that is looking great Pete!

I notice my name on the wing!!!! :thumbup: