Sign in to follow this  
TreeBeard

MK5 problems in wet weather

This will sound really stupid, but check all of the earths, make sure none are corroded, loose or damaged as that may cause a problem for the engine to earth to the body and that only shows up when wet.

post-14147-0-95831500-1514676285_thumb.jpg

check see if that wire hasn't fallen. Mine runs crap when it dislodges itself. I also have the accuspark on mine,runs a treat. Never had to by pass the ballast. As we know,ballast systems are 9v. What's the fuse-box connectors like,in good condition?

• Upvote 1

Might be worth popping the bonnet on a wet night and looking to see if you can spot any arcing going on around the dizzy cap / leads etc...

Don't use a torch and look at the engine from the side of the car to minimise any risk of clothing catching on any rotating parts etc.

Could be a crack in the distributor cap or rotor that's arcing when it gets wet if it's the original. Some HT leads I have used have given problems as the boots don't fit the terminals tight enough and let in moisture. Magnecor are pricey but seem the best. Are you sure the polarity of the coil is correct...if it's reversed the output will be low and show up any weaknesses in the system.

Edited by Cortina1975

UPDATE.

After far too much messing about and replacing things i took another look at the rotor arm, turns out the one i put in from the electric starter kit was a tiny bit shorter than the original one... DUH!

Swapped it back for the old one and it now runs perfectly, 6 months of banging my head against a wall for nothing haha

Well a painful lesson but it's sorted and should run nicely now given there are one or two new parts fitted :thumbup: