Sign in to follow this  
tinman

air con

hi all , i have been thinking about the possibility of fitting air con into one of the cortinas for some time , has anyone already done this before maybe using bits from modern cars or are there any retro fit air con kits available out there that anyone knows of ?? look forward to hearing your replies and ideas guys.....:thumbsup:

If you've got a 1200 or 1300 you may have to turn the A/c off to do a hill start.... The difficult bit would be trying to keep the inside looking stock. The standard heater box wouldn't be suitable for modification so you'd end up with a monstrosity slung under the front parcel shelf like the early Mustangs had, they looked accessory shop too. The under bonnet stuff would be fairly simple.

10 hours ago, tinman said:

hi all , i have been thinking about the possibility of fitting air con into one of the cortinas for some time , has anyone already done this before maybe using bits from modern cars or are there any retro fit air con kits available out there that anyone knows of ?? look forward to hearing your replies and ideas guys.....:thumbsup:

Hi,  I have a factory 260 Air Con fitted to my MK5.

On 5/2/2021 at 5:23 PM, DHV571D said:

If you've got a 1200 or 1300 you may have to turn the A/c off to do a hill start.... The difficult bit would be trying to keep the inside looking stock. The standard heater box wouldn't be suitable for modification so you'd end up with a monstrosity slung under the front parcel shelf like the early Mustangs had, they looked accessory shop too. The under bonnet stuff would be fairly simple.

cheers buddy,if i did ever do it it wouldnt be going in anything under a 1600 or at least that would be the plan anyway , was just a thought really to see if it might be possible maybe to rig up using scavenged parts from modern vehichles and keep on the cheap side.  i have seen those units on the early mustangs and must admit they are a little accessory shop looking and although not 100% fussed about having the interior looking stock would like it to be to a degree so if that was my only option might have to find a way of making it blend in a little better .

On 5/2/2021 at 6:47 PM, Steve Walton said:

Hi,  I have a factory 260 Air Con fitted to my MK5.

well thats something i just learned !!  factory fitted in Britain ?  was it a special order or maybe and imported vehicle from warmer climes ?

4 hours ago, tinman said:

well thats something i just learned !!  factory fitted in Britain ?  was it a special order or maybe and imported vehicle from warmer climes ?

Yes Factory fitted 260 Air Con. Open two windows and travel at 60 mph. Simples. :sofa1:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve Walton said:

Yes Factory fitted 260 Air Con. Open two windows and travel at 60 mph. Simples. :sofa1:

You've just made me realise, I too have this AC system  :laugh:

• Haha 1

It was avl on Australian & South African mk3-5 not sure the mk1-2 but you may be able to get info from these countries on conversions.

14 hours ago, Steve Walton said:

got to admit you had me with that one :laugh::laugh::rofl:

11 hours ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

It was avl on Australian & South African mk3-5 not sure the mk1-2 but you may be able to get info from these countries on conversions.

thanks for that buddy and will certainly look into that,it is intended for a mk2 but will certainly give me an idea of how they were fitted up and equipment used :thumbsup: