Sign in to follow this  
Messer

Temp and fuel gauge reading half on ignition

When I turn my ignition on, my fuel gauge goes up to over half a tank (and its empty) and my temp gauge goes over half way too. Any ideas on this one please?

Thanks

Tony

Last time both of my gauges were playing up it was the voltage stabilizer on the back of the clocks. However, yours is a mk1 and mine was a mk4.

My money is on the voltage stabilizer as well

My money is on the voltage stabilizer as well

silly place to leave your money - it might short the wiring out

• Upvote 1

silly place to leave your money - it might short the wiring out

No Dave, I've only got notes :rofl:

Welcome to GT ownership!

Mine is the other way....full tank reads half.....hot engine reads just over cold...

New parts fitted...... Rebuilt tank sender......no good....new fuel gauge....no good.....5 different stabilisers inc custom made electronic version. No good.....brand new fuel tank and sender......no good....4 new temp senders (different colours) .....no good....new temp gauge....no good...run secondary earths....no good.

About 400plus quid spent......still does it....

Given up!

Edited by cortina_GT

Welcome to GT ownership!

Mine is the other way....full tank reads half.....hot engine reads just over cold...

New parts fitted...... Rebuilt tank sender......no good....new fuel gauge....no good.....5 different stabilisers inc custom made electronic version. No good.....brand new fuel tank and sender......no good....4 new temp senders (different colours) .....no good....new temp gauge....no good...run secondary earths....no good.

About 400plus quid spent......still does it....

Given up!

Jesus fauir play for effort..

I think that the voltage stabilisers are adjustable arent they? maybe I will have a look at adjusting it if so, but it seems odd that both guages are doing the same thing like they are getting too much juice or not enough resistance..

Fixed this issue today, I tested te output of the voltage stabiliser and regardless of how much I adjusted the Pot it remained a constant 12.2v showing it was knackered so bought a solid state one (nice tip from knapman - cheers bob) and now reads correct !

pleased for you (no really!)

my stabiliser reads 5v on output and I have the electronic version already installed.....

past caring how to fix it!

pleased for you (no really!)

my stabiliser reads 5v on output and I have the electronic version already installed.....

past caring how to fix it!

Ah what a pain!