Sign in to follow this  
Colr6

Rechroming heater eyeballs

Is there anyone who rechromed the air vent eyeballs as fitted to the mk1 or has anyone had satisfactory results with spray chrome ? Any info appreciated

hi mate

I heard that a company called 'Lotus Outlaws' did this, not 100% sure though

Is there anyone who rechromed the air vent eyeballs as fitted to the mk1 or has anyone had satisfactory results with spray chrome ? Any info appreciated

Dual Metallising in Birmingham 01217082748. Had all dash plastic done on my very early MK2 GT and very pleased with the results.

hi mate

I heard that a company called 'Lotus Outlaws' did this, not 100% sure though

Chris has had some bits like that done , he doesnt do them himself.

Duel Metalising looks good, especially as I live in B'ham, and have looked at their website. One question I have, is I have a MK2 series 2 lotus under restoration, are the knobs on the eyeball vents chromed, or black. If chromed. how do you remove them from the vent to get them done?

On this subject, the silvering around the heater controls, and the centre console trim raised edges, is this supposed to be chrome, or just silver paint?

Apologies that's three questions or even four!!

Kev

Duel Metalising looks good, especially as I live in B'ham, and have looked at their website. One question I have, is I have a MK2 series 2 lotus under restoration, are the knobs on the eyeball vents chromed, or black. If chromed. how do you remove them from the vent to get them done?

On this subject, the silvering around the heater controls, and the centre console trim raised edges, is this supposed to be chrome, or just silver paint?

Apologies that's three questions or even four!!

Kev

centre console trim bits are chromed yes , not sure which the other part is you mean ? the edgeing on the oblong trim piece? that is chromed as well - no silver painted parts on anything on the cars .

to be pedantic its not really chromed - it looks like chrome but its an aluminium process

centre console trim bits are chromed yes , not sure which the other part is you mean ? the edgeing on the oblong trim piece? that is chromed as well - no silver painted parts on anything on the cars .

to be pedantic its not really chromed - it looks like chrome but its an aluminium process

Are you sure the centre console and heater panel are chrome Dave, I thought they were a dull aluminium finish I think the twist knob on the centre of the air vents may be chrome.

Are you sure the centre console and heater panel are chrome Dave, I thought they were a dull aluminium finish I think the twist knob on the centre of the air vents may be chrome.

I dont THINK it should be a dull finish I thought they were all dull from nearly 50 years of exposure? , as in my pedantic bit above though IT IS aluminium all of the shiney bits on the dash , was thinking they would use the same process to match the parts - though thinking about it it would be hard to do on just the small edge parts on the console so maybe they did just paint something on those?

Anyone remember what they looked like in 1968??

I think they are anodised aluminium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they are anodised aluminium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think anodised aluminium is what the other metal trims ,non chrome plated ones, are made of.

I think anodised aluminium is what the other metal trims ,non chrome plated ones, are made of.

Mean outer trims

I have got my parts out of storage, and it looks like the the centre console and the heater control edging are silver painted, but the eyeball knobs were chrome finish, they've gone a yellow colour now. How can you remove the knobs, it's not obvious how they come off,and don't want to break them. Just as a reminder, mine is a S2 Lotus, as I know S1 cars can have fully chromed eyeballs, and chrome or silver trim around them, which the S2 doesn't have.