MikeC

MK2 GT series 2 without H/D strut tops?

Ok I am checking out an american spec mk2 GT series 2 . It all looks the real deal other than it does not have the strengthening plates on the strut tops? . I do not know if this is correct or not for the american market, the chassis number is correct though the dash and centre console is all there too. Any idea's/

We dont have the reinforcements on the GT here eighter, only E and Lotus always got them. In Norway also the GT got them, so it depends on what country the vars was built for.

Here is Sweden.

We dont have the reinforcements on the GT here eighter, only E and Lotus always got them. In Norway also the GT got them, so it depends on what country the vars was built for. Here is Sweden.

I have the car now and after doing a bit more research, I am finding a lot more bits that change for different markets. It is an early series 2 so the dash is series 2 but the shell and seats and door cards are series 1 with more detail sown the back of the front seats. I have got to find a whole interior as mine is an Arizona car and the inside is useless. The dash is going to be the hard bit It has a radio delete plate not a glove box, so any help on this would be great.

It is an early series 2 so the dash is series 2 but the shell and seats and door cards are series 1 with more detail sown the back of the front seats.

i think this type of dash is nearly impossible to find in Europe. "easiest" to find, as i suppose would be a lhd s2 1600E dash?

post-2645-0-89925100-1539589146_thumb.jpg

Edited by consul315

I wonder if there is any way to get mine restored? It would need a whole new foam bit made somehow.

I wonder if there is any way to get mine restored? It would need a whole new foam bit made somehow.

mike it can be done in the usa but its big big money about £1000 with the postage :shocking:

I have a couple of dashboards lying, here the s2 GT and E had that style and the 70 deluxe, except for the radio, there is a glovebox instead. I have both GT and deluxe.

i think this type of dash is nearly impossible to find in Europe. "easiest" to find, as i suppose would be a lhd s2 1600E dash?

I like the look of that.

May I ask another question re 1600e dash and door timbers and ref. Hans link above.Any I have seen redone including my own, done by Chapman and Cliffe, are a much darker finish but I`m of the opinion that the colour in Hans picture is more original.At the time I had mine done I was assured by Chapman and Cliffe that they would do it exactly as Ford did but it came back in the darker shade .Any ideas?

Edited by myle087

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:37 AM, MikeC said:

I have the car now and after doing a bit more research, I am finding a lot more bits that change for different markets. It is an early series 2 so the dash is series 2 but the shell and seats and door cards are series 1 with more detail sown the back of the front seats. I have got to find a whole interior as mine is an Arizona car and the inside is useless. The dash is going to be the hard bit It has a radio delete plate not a glove box, so any help on this would be great.

So along with that dash you probably have the dash mounted handbrake vs floor mount on series 2, that dash was used mainly for the 68 model year-the other thing that made that particular dash different was the headlight and hazard switches on an extended panel outside the steering column.. In 67 it was steel dash, padded top with Gt gauges set up high. 69 and newer had the normal glove box.  What is the year and month code on your car? 

You may be better off to try and have yours padded and recovered . The newer dash cover could be swapped in without too much trouble but finding on of them in good nick for LHD may be difficult. You would also need to mount a glove box and obtain the headlight and panel light switches, connectors and wire as nec

Thanks for your wisdom she is a Feb 68 date code, yes it is a dash mounted H/B. I did not know about the headlight and hazard switches(you never stop learning) I am hoping I may have a lead on a lhd Gt dash:rolleyes:, mine does not have any wiring anyway but that is not the end of the world. If not I will look around breakers in Calgary in july when we come over HAHA. I am going to keep the old dash frame and maybe one day I will get it recovered. I do have a lot of mk2 bits but not much 2 door, I think i have picked up enough to get the interior tidied up now too

yes and also none of the North American spec cars had the strengthening plate on the top of the strut tower,  not sure why. those heavy duty shells also had a strengthening rib welded to the strut tower seat under the wing to keep it from bending which I have seen on a lot of the spares cars I have had over the years.

Also, if I remember right,  there is that short bit on the top front corner of the door where it meets the cowl/ bulkhead about 1 3/4'' long-if it is curved then it is series1. If it is straight it is series 2. I would think Feb 68 would be curved. Likewise you should have an outside bonnet button vs dash pull cable on s2.  Newer units had key lock cylinders in both front doors, wiring harnesses changed, fuse panel added,  transmission changes, console, seats etc.

I may be wrong but I think your type dash 68 dash was used mainly for the north American/other markets whilst in Britain they used the less padded dash right up to series 2. Probably due to the crash standards laws over here at the time. I like to think of it as series 1 1/2 dash.

Does your car have the console still fitted?  with a clock?

While i'm at it.....all n.a. spec have opening vent windows in the front doors unlike some other markets except that they always source of wind noise and water leaks.

Read the article here in Cortina discussion about the Holman & moody. The guy is in Ohio, says the dash etc is for sale if he still has it.

Yes Dave the bonnet lock is outside, the console is in it with clock. the front window vents do open but I don't know if it had dual brakes as there is no braking system left on it. Also the exterior door lock is located in the door skin not the door handle and there are the remains of a lock toggle button on the inside of the drivers door. I will look into the holman moody one.