Duke Blues

my 2XL resto.

the door casement seemed to be in good order so i decided to remove the door skin and take a closer look.

firstly i stripped the door down,

door glass damaged so in the bin

door handle not too bad so i'll put it with the others

mirror arm not too bad so maybe usable but the mirror back is slightly damaged

lock okay

window regulator okay

then off came the door skin.

not too bad from the back all considered

20140316_123711_zpsyh8ry0pb.jpg

door casement needed a couple of small repairs

20140316_123751_zpss3pifpc5.jpg

20140316_125102_zps2i2veh7i.jpg

20140316_125114_zpsn2aeluud.jpg

which thankfully didn't take too long

sorry folks but photobucket seems to have crashed on me and so i am unable to upload any more pictures.

i will have to continue my update next time i get a chance.

thanks for looking

graham

I too would be pi553d off, I paid way too much for a 3.0 Ghia Capri, just been pro painted, looked mint for 6 months, then the bubbling started, :poo: sills, rear 1/4's, doors, tailgate, scuttle, etc, etc, I decided to repair it with repair sections and it's taking forever to do right, it's what goes on behind a repair that really matters, you look to be pretty savvy with the welder, :thumbup:

well played on stripping back that door graham, im sure you can fix that up at least you know it will be right, you could build a dipping tank for the doors, strip em dip em, kill all the rust and then pour red oxide in the doors?

I too would be pi553d off, I paid way too much for a 3.0 Ghia Capri, just been pro painted, looked mint for 6 months, then the bubbling started, :poo: sills, rear 1/4's, doors, tailgate, scuttle, etc, etc, I decided to repair it with repair sections and it's taking forever to do right, it's what goes on behind a repair that really matters, you look to be pretty savvy with the welder, :thumbup:

It's not the first time and it won't be the last that i pay over the odds for junk.

When buying at a distance on ebay you have to rely on a certain amount of honesty.

Look on the bright side,

The more junk i buy the less there is to go around.

I'm not defeated though

It's just going to take me longer in the long run.

well played on stripping back that door graham, im sure you can fix that up at least you know it will be right, you could build a dipping tank for the doors, strip em dip em, kill all the rust and then pour red oxide in the doors?

Cheers Pete

This is the second time that i have had to strip and rebuild a door. But as you say,

once i have done it i will know that there isn't any tin worm left hiding in there.

I had the do that small repair on mine duke bottom rear corner .With a new door skin on it will be like new . :thumbup:

Have you put a skin on before?

Edited by TIB3300

I had the do that small repair on mine duke bottom rear corner .With a new door skin on it will be like new . :thumbup:

Have you put a skin on before?

Yes matey

When i rebuilt one of my back doors i removed a good door skin from a rotten door casement and fitted it to a good door casement .

A lot of messing about but cheap and effective.

any ways

where was i before photobucket stopped working :headscratch:

oh yes that was it, i was working on the drivers door. :chain:

i had a couple of repairs to make to the drivers door casement.

one in the bottom corner where they all seem to go.

20140316_144033_zpsihqspu9_edit_1395153244678_zpsvwtkrbei.jpg

i just made up a small repair piece and welded that in

20140316_172824_zps02c0iosx.jpg

and a small section on the bottom of the door

20140316_125114_zpsn2aeluud.jpg

20140316_172745_zpsjl0v4x2r.jpg

other than that it is a really good casement.

20140316_172833_zpsbaaksrfs.jpg

after that i cleaned up the inside of the door casement ready for painting and gave it a coat of etch primer.

20140329_140649_zpsuzum4pm0.jpg

more to follow...........

for the inside of the door casement i used ronseal rust resistant paint. it sprays on nicely and gives good coverage.

oh yes and it's cheaper that hammerite.

20140330_160132_zpsucqcj96r.jpg

for the door skin i decided use the door skin off the old drivers door as it looked to be in good condition.

but firstly i needed to separate it from the old drivers door.so i carefully cut around the door casement with a millie disc and removed the door casement.

20140322_160250_zpsv8s8ylep.jpg

20140322_160242_zpsieq0dsi7.jpg

then spent a little time removing the remains of the old casement.

20140322_163422_zpsjbsvobjm.jpg

it's a bit of messing around but it didn't take that long really.

and there's more.....

wow....... look at them there finished insides and welding jobs........ credit to all your work graham...... i always look forward to seeing your updates :thumbup:

20140322_172211_zpsbbhinpzw.jpg

20140322_172211_zpsbbhinpzw.jpg

then i went on to straiten out the edges.

20140322_173017_zps8kgydqdi.jpg

i did all of this a while back to repair the n/s rear door to good effect.

with a good clean up all seemed well

(mostly)

20140322_182020_zps0tkwdegk.jpg

the car has had 2 different kinds of mirror fitted in it's time and as i will be fitting the older style of mirror i welded up the redundant hole.

20140323_101441_zpsagaflpmc.jpg

20140323_102326_zpsg6ilk5zc.jpg

then with a coat of paint it was ready to fit............. :thumbup:

but then a n.o.s drivers door skin came up on ebay for a start bid of £25.

bearing in mind that door skins for mk3's normally come up at around £100+ i decided to have a punt.

as mine was the only bid i won it for £25 plus courier costs. as my courier isn't and express courier i'm not too sure when it will be collected / delivered. so in the mean time i decided to get on with the boot lid.

now theres a story of wasted time and money.

Edited by duke blues

i found some rot in the boot lid some time ago and set about repairing it.

i had to dig deep to find these pictures. :lol:

IMAG1032_zpsd19b8801.jpg

IMAG1038_zps37a4aab8.jpg

IMAG1040_zpsc6c3af36.jpg

although the pictures look okay there was a little distortion and i wasn't happy with it.

so i posted in the wanted section for a boot lid and was offered one by jayne. the boot lid jayne offered me needed a little work so i decided to wait for a better one to come up.

eventually one came up on ebay said to be in very good condition so i bought that one.

as usual it looked better in the pictures than it really was.

20140223_152829_zpsmis6bnsc.jpg

on closer inspection i wasn't very impressed with it.

20140223_145504_zpsr3xkyo9c.jpg

20140223_145450_zpsvt6jf2je.jpg

more to come.........

the more i looked at it the less i licked it.

20140223_145423_zpsvcwd8imd.jpg

even the holes where the letters and badges go had started to creep due to corrosion.

20140223_152841_zpstoeuwk1b.jpg

so i made a cup of tea and started to compare the two boot lids to decide which if any i would use.

in the end i resigned my newly purchased boot lid to my steadily growing pile of tat.

old man steptoe has got nothing on me when it comes to collecting scrap. :unsure:

so i got on with trying to prep the original boot lid. i say try to prep it as the more i rubbed the paint back the more it flaked off. whoever painted the car last time didn't prep or prime the under side of the boot lid and so the paint just kept on flaking off.

20140330_145730_zpsxys4zxnw.jpg

20140330_145750_zpsha7kckg1.jpg

in the end i decided to bare metal it instead.

20140406_165638_zps8j8kbxbo.jpg

using paint stripper would have been easier and quieter if i had any that would do what it says on the tin. like strip paint.

i was hoping to finish prepping and then paint the boot lid this weekend with it being the easter 4 day weekend. but the three women in my life have other plans.

my wife :wedding: my daughter :wub: and my mother :wife: want to go to the Yorkshire dales for the weekend. all i could do was smile and say that i thought it was a great idea.

hope the nos door skin arrives next week.

thats it for now so thanks for looking.

happy easter to all

graham B)

wow....... look at them there finished insides and welding jobs........ credit to all your work graham...... i always look forward to seeing your updates :thumbup:

thanks gary, pete

i have been busy but at times it seems like wading through mud.one problem solved and two more come up. last weekend i couldn't find the nuts and bolts to re hang the off side doors. it seems that i must have put them somewhere safe. thanks to arron i have just received some replacements through the post so i'll set to and clean them up ready for fitting at my earliest opportunity.

thanks for your support

graham