Duke Blues

my 2XL resto.

Nice one Graham. :thumbup:

That's Great news Graham it looks like they will do a good job, though I think you are optimistic in expecting it done in a month, as things never quite go as planned with body shops.

Pete-H

Thanks Martin and Pete.

I don't mind if it takes a little longer for the car to be ready.

I have no idea how much it's going to cost so it will give me more time to save up.

Don't really like the idea of being caught out.

work has been busy lately eating into my spare time bringing my resto to a halt. i really wanted to have the car painted this year but it didn't look like things were going to go to plan. but all of those extra hours at work have given me another option.

Good plan! I'm in exactly the same position - very little free time with work, and I've taken the same option - use the money to get a pro to help out.

With my guy I'll be popping in every week to see progress, discuss what to do next, and see how the cost is mounting up.

Edited by Danish

I really wanted to prep and paint the car myself but time is against me. I'm not prepared to put the project back another year and with winter approaching I needed to make a decision. Hopefully work will keep me busy as i really don't know what the final price tag is going to be for having the car painted.

And then of course there is the new vinyl roof and headlining amongst other things.

I really wanted to prep and paint the car myself but time is against me. I'm not prepared to put the project back another year and with winter approaching I needed to make a decision. Hopefully work will keep me busy as i really don't know what the final price tag is going to be for having the car painted.

And then of course there is the new vinyl roof and headlining amongst other things.

Ive got a man for the roof in sheffield :thumbup:

Cheers Tibbs.

I do have a local company that fits vinyl roofs and they have a very good reputation.

But they are also very expensive. I haven't priced having it done yet as i don't expect to be having it fitted until next year.

They also do headlining but haven recon bars would probably change me around £700 for a vinyl roof and headlining fitted.

There is another company locally that do headlinings called

East Coast trimmers & customs.

Again i haven't as yet enquired as to how much it would cost.

Thanks Martin and Pete.

I don't mind if it takes a little longer for the car to be ready.

I have no idea how much it's going to cost so it will give me more time to save up.

Don't really like the idea of being caught out.

Please, please get them to put something in writing of their best quotation on what can be seen.

Allow a contingency for unseen issues. You have done such a detailed job of what you have shown on here that there should be no surprises.

What I'm trying to say is that surely the bodyshop should know what it would cost - as it isn't like the car hasn't been stripped down etc and needs panels requiring replacement etc.

Please don't get caught out by a bodyshop quoting low and charging high! or even saying that they don't know how much it will cost - I can speak from bitter experience.

Also, if anything is discovered by them that you didn't know about tell them to contact you first before doing any work.

Visit the car frequently and watch progress!

Edited by Jupiter Red Mark4

Cheers Tibbs.

I do have a local company that fits vinyl roofs and they have a very good reputation.

But they are also very expensive. I haven't priced having it done yet as i don't expect to be having it fitted until next year.

They also do headlining but haven recon bars would probably change me around £700 for a vinyl roof and headlining fitted.

There is another company locally that do headlinings called

East Coast trimmers & customs.

Again i haven't as yet enquired as to how much it would cost.

£125 from east kent ,fit yourself :thumbup:

recon bars ? :headscratch:

vinyl roof £175 fitted

;)

hello,

just got home from the hull fair.

should know better at my age but i don't :shocking:

when i dropped my car off at haven they were pretty busy working on other cars so they didn't have time to look the car over properly.

i do know one of the people that works there and so i am confident that i won't be ripped off. i rang them this morning to see if they had started on the car yet but they haven't as yet. when they do make a start i'll go and take some pictures for an update on my post and find out how much this is going to cost me.

sorry for the confusion Tibbs,

what i meant was D.L.Barr

( sorry but i'm not allowed to show the link for some reason )

vehicle upholsterers.

they are local to me but probably charge considerably more than 175 quid.

meanwhile home in the garage i'm spending my time trying to sort the garage out. when the cortina comes back i would like a more orderly work space to work in.

the trouble is the more i try to tidy it up the worse it looks.

20141011_161223_zpslybnheua.jpg

i have filled my trailer up ready for the tip and still there is to much in there. :headscratch:

20141011_161305_zpsa07bnooo.jpg

i've got to bring some kind of order back to the garage before the cortina comes back ready for the rebuild.

and now a new problem has arisen. :unsure:

thanks to our mate Mr tibbs.

and this picture.................

125_zpsefd5a1e9.jpg

when i bought my cortina it had been re sprayed a lighter shade of green.

05062009.jpg

02082009003.jpg

05062009001.jpg

it isn't that i mind the colour but on stripping the car down i found that it used to be a darker shade similar to Mr tibbs car.

i thought that the darker shade wouldn't look so good so i decided to go with the lighter colour. but now that i have seen Tibbs car i'm not so sure that i have made the right choice. so before the spray shop start spraying the car i need to decide which shade to go for.

so thanks to you Mr tibbs i am now scratching my head bald with uncertainty. :tazz:

do i go with the lighter colour

7207aadd-827e-4190-8289-6ea8c51287dd_zps0c22c864.jpg

or do i go for the darker shade

2857885b-ddff-471f-a3b5-87526ab47be6_zps8b44bd19.jpg

both good colours which doesn't make the choice any easier.

what are your thoughts..............

I have not got a gripe with body shops but I know what they are like and I would recommend going along unannounced and make sure that they are not moving your car in and out from under cover as body shops do that and your car may be left out in the rain uncovered.

Which will show up six months later after it has been painted.

Pete

P.S. Darker Shade of Green gets my vote I suspect that is the correct ford colour rather than the lighter shade.

Edited by Pete-H

cheers pete,

one of the advantages of the car being at gilberdyke is that i pass that way in my truck. so i plan to drop in as often as possible to take pictures and check on progress. obviously i wouldn't be very impressed if i found the car languishing outside after all the work that i have done on it.

one vote for the darker shade of green :thumbup:

Hiya Duke what colour do's it say on the body tag?

IMAG0035.jpg

As there are two main metallic greens, fern green

fer1.jpg

and onix green

i068571.jpg

Mine is Onix green EEEERRRR!!!! But mine is inbetween :bag:

as I dint like the darker shade

125_zpsefd5a1e9.jpg

Edited by TIB3300