waynew

1600e 2door

I have just purchased a 1970 2 door 1600E LHD in extremely good condition which I am going to restore - has anybody got any information relating to these cars - are they rare?

Many thanks

Yes think only a couple of thòusand made someone more mk2 knowledgeable will help.

Yes indeed rare, though two door right hand drive are rarer. . . . :wine:

Sounds like a very special car. Congratulations!

I've had a couple of them, and bought a little stunner earlier this year. All original panels, never been welded, lot of original paint and a near perfect original interior. It had been owned by a French family most of it's life as a holiday car in Spain, and stored there in an underground car park away from the sea...and salt air....since the 1970s.

Since Photobucket went west I can't put any photos up, but I have put what I know up on my Lotus Cortina website here....

http://www.lotuscortinainfo.com/?page_id=3704

I'd love to see photos of your car, and I'm collecting details of the cars to get an informal register of the 2 door 1600E cars. There seems to be very few left, with about 15 known cars in the UK and around Europe, and 1 rhd one definitely still alive in the UK. You can contact me via my website if you want to natter 2 door 1600Es...or Lotus Cortina of course! I'm on Facebook as well. with lots of photos on there of my car.

Mark Kempson

theres a RHD 2 door in clacton on sea been in a yard for at least 10 years John chapman from the 1600e club tried to buy years ago ill try and find the reg no and see if its for sale

That would be great Colin. My bet is that it's CML238H, an Aubergine car last on the road in 2004. There were 3 other CML cars, CML627H having been scrapped, with CML30H and CML620H having gone from DVLA records altogether.

There was an Aubergine RHD 2 door in Plymouth and sold later fom Dobwalls in Cornwall to a man from Welling . He did a lot of repairs but didnt finish it and the car was then sold to Ireland as far as I know . That was a CML reg so might be the same car . Steve.

Pics are needed, sounds to be an excellent project, there is not much to do to convert to RHD, l have seen recently one in Malta, and it was in excellent condition, and RHD, l was unable to check the chassis no to confirm if it was genuine, but looked to be the real McCoy, good luck with the work.

Pics are needed, sounds to be an excellent project, there is not much to do to convert to RHD, l have seen recently one in Malta, and it was in excellent condition, and RHD, l was unable to check the chassis no to confirm if it was genuine, but looked to be the real McCoy, good luck with the work.

really? was just talking to two fellow Cortina nuts here in Malta this afternoon and neither knew that any 1600Es had ever been built one is very keen to find one to buy

That would be great Colin. My bet is that it's CML238H, an Aubergine car last on the road in 2004. There were 3 other CML cars, CML627H having been scrapped, with CML30H and CML620H having gone from DVLA records altogether.

ill go to the yard were it was next week see if its still there maybe try and buy it ,

I know it means nothing but I remember it being white ill let you know .

really? was just talking to two fellow Cortina nuts here in Malta this afternoon and neither knew that any 1600Es had ever been built one is very keen to find one to buy

As stated, looked to be the real McCoy, was at the Sea Life Centre, Bugibba, but, everyone was replicating 1600E's in the 70's, if it wasn't the real deal, then it was a very good replica, no doubt you can correct me, also at the same time, there was 2 Mexicos, think they were 1100's, also a Jag E type,or was it a Challenger ??? Here we go again !!! Edited by loopymk5owner

Colin, there has been a bit chat recently that there may have been a couple more rhd cars made than first thought, as someone spotted 3 or 4 of them lined up in the Ford car park in 1969 / 70. It could have been the 'CML' set, but that is a Middlesex registration number, and apparently the cars at Ford had a Chelmsford number, which makes sense. One has recently turned up in Zimbabwe as well, so when Ford said that 'a handful' of RHD cars had been made, it may well have been 8 or 10 cars rather than the 4 or 5 known about and discussed on here a few years back. Not many survivors though.

If you're able to buy it give me a bell and I'll talk through all the bits to look out for, and what the chassis plate should have on it.

I believe there are ca 5-10 LHD 2 door mk2 1600Es here in Norway, a couple of them were sold new here, the rest will be later imports from Sweden.
Don't know how many there are left in Sweden (been a few years since I was a member of the Swedish Cortina Club now), but probably 5-10 cars over there as well.

I think the sum total for 2 door Es were 2749 according to one of the mk2 books?

Edited by MLI