M5Greg

Carbodies update

3 hours ago, M5Greg said:

I have got some chrome trim rings which I think finish the wheels off but I hate the way they hold on by gripping into the paint, so I haven't been able to bring myself to do it.

How sad is that. 

No, it's perfectly normal behaviour :smile:, I was the same myself.  I got round the problem by putting some heat shrink tubing over the part of the clip that grips the wheel rim thus protecting the paint.  That's assuming you have the type of trim ring that has the 5 individual clips and not those horrible things with the teeth all the way around, they're proper rim wreckers.

Not jealous at all. Nope, not me. 😜

20 hours ago, RT 1006 said:

No, it's perfectly normal behaviour :smile:, I was the same myself.  I got round the problem by putting some heat shrink tubing over the part of the clip that grips the wheel rim thus protecting the paint.  That's assuming you have the type of trim ring that has the 5 individual clips and not those horrible things with the teeth all the way around, they're proper rim wreckers.

That's a great idea I'll give it a try, thanks.

The last bit of the puzzle is the hood, unfortunately not only has it shrunk but the previous owner had issues with water dripping on him when it rained and this was on a newly fitted hood. The trimmer tried to cure this by using a hot glue gun on the seams and just cutting bits off the hood, so I can't even use the hood as a pattern for the new one. The frame had seen better days so I decided to strip it all down and try to refurbish it, surprisingly there is only one piece of rust that will need cutting out and some wood will need replacing. Once I've done the frame I can have a chat with Aldridge Trimming to see if they can do the hood and trim the T Bar.

IMG_4620.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_4670.jpg

Is this the last piece of the puzzle? Must be close now! I can't wait to see it at some point.

Got to be the ultimate Mk5, looking A1.

10 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Is this the last piece of the puzzle? Must be close now! I can't wait to see it at some point.

Apart from a few little bits and pieces hopefully it is, just want to take it for a drive now it's been a long wait.

9 hours ago, GhiaMk4/5 said:

Got to be the ultimate Mk5, looking A1.

Thank you 

Awesome car....it sucks that we didn't get the mk4/5 here in Canada

19 hours ago, Dave A said:

Awesome car....it sucks that we didn't get the mk4/5 here in Canada

I always thought that about the XR6 and 3.0S mk4, why only South Africa.

Looks brilliant. I can’t wait to see this car. Sadly for me, the only bits I am missing for KON are the roof catches and I don’t fancy my chances of finding a pair easily. 

14 hours ago, FKLGLS said:

Looks brilliant. I can’t wait to see this car. Sadly for me, the only bits I am missing for KON are the roof catches and I don’t fancy my chances of finding a pair easily. 

I have a spare pair you could use, they are originally from a RR Corniche or an Aston Martin V8 convertible.

That’s great Greg. Pm a price please bud. Thank you.

OMG I totally love it 

smashing work 

hats off to you 

taking the frame out was it just around 4 -6 bolts as I need to have mine done in 2 pack paint due to the glue they use for the hood I've been told 

need to use 2 pack paint on it 

3 hours ago, Crayford MK4 said:

OMG I totally love it 

smashing work 

hats off to you 

taking the frame out was it just around 4 -6 bolts as I need to have mine done in 2 pack paint due to the glue they use for the hood I've been told 

need to use 2 pack paint on it 

Didn't think about having to use 2 pack, I was going to paint mine tomorrow with some Simoniz Tough Paint, might have to find a local bodyshop to do it for me then.