chris mk3

coming back...........................

That foot well looks very good

On 3/21/2020 at 4:40 PM, chris mk3 said:

Ill  have a gander cheers Craig , yes mate its cost a bit getting the panels together, prices definitely on the way up, Craig Sheffield Cortina center prices are very good though. 

Yes id defiantly say its  Copper bronze Craig

burnt orange mk3.jpg

This mk3 looks superb is it owned by anyone on here ?

7 hours ago, D-FENS said:

This mk3 looks superb is it owned by anyone on here ?

I remember this photo from a few years back (I loved it too and downloaded it). IIRC it was owned by a guy called Mitch...? 

Great progress for a day off! 

It's already bringing back a few memories for me... Keep it coming 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks for comments, ive been on the Cortina for the last couple of days, and started a little welding, and making up some pieces to repair the n/s floor edge/lip, inner sill tacked on, new outer sill prepped ready, the i ran out of gas, typical, i will upload pics the weekend, from Saturday ive a week off, isolation? no more like Cortina preparation !  

• Like 1

Great progress so far!

Cheers Lob, heres some pics of the fabricated floor repairs, and new inner sill , prepped outer sill ready, for welding, will drop the door back on , line up and tack into place, rear inner arch repair panels were mk5 Cortina, so had to slice and reshape a little for the new outer arches , then make a section to fill in,  itll be the same for the ski slope from the B post to the sill as it wasnt there due to good old 70s rot, im loving working on this old knacker !

SAM_6570.JPG

SAM_6572.JPG

SAM_6573.JPG

SAM_6574.JPG

SAM_6575.JPG

SAM_6577.JPG

SAM_6571.JPG

SAM_6580.JPG

SAM_6487.JPG

Edited by chris mk3
  • Like 3

Yet your Y bit of the chassis looks to be in good shape, never makes sense how some rot more in different places, good progress already!!!

Yes, the chassis and main floor pans are pretty solid, i think it always looks like you know where you going once you cut out the rust, i always remember an old boy telling me you can weld up anything as long as youve something to weld to, sounds daft, but it isnt.

Ive now welded on the n/s outer arch, and made lower repair sections for the quarter , ive done well on that as ive made the lip, so looks like the original seam to the sill,  and started to weld the n/s inner arch up - week off work really helps, will post pics, when i remember to take the camera 

• Like 1

kinell :blink:

One man and his slitting discs :cool:

image.png.2a7420b349d85765ff3ed8ccafa59402.png

Just a little something, I learnt the hard way.

When your welding the sills on. Make sure the car is supported on both the wheels and the chassis.  As when I did my green car, I only had the car supported on the chassis, and the rear end of the sill curled under too far after if had been welded :headscratch:

No point staring at the rust mate , its doing nowt , yes cheers im sure the sills weren't doing that much but i will defiantly bare it in mind

How nice is this weather!

Main welding done, on the n/s anyway, still getting my flow, so not the prettiest of welds, but getting good penetration oooh errrr, and getting better as i go along, still lots to grind, and re weld, the rear arches are nice and solid now, i will use  a skim of P40 fibreglass, before filling and blending, then etch primer, when i eventually get it back to my house i can throw on coats of filler primer, the rear quarter panel  was starting to show signs of  pitting, every so slightly, so glad i got my hands on the Cortina when i did, sill gaps pretty good, i did fit some good second hand hinges, though they have made the door gap larger on the B post, maybe down to the lack of steel, or may need spacing to close up the gap, worse case is to add some steel to the door, but its all in hand either way, 

SAM_6581.JPG

SAM_6586.JPG

SAM_6588.JPG

SAM_6593.JPG

SAM_6594.JPG

SAM_6596.JPG

SAM_6583.JPG

SAM_6585.JPG

SAM_6590.JPG

SAM_6591.JPG

Edited by chris mk3
  • Like 3

Great update, it is starting to look good. I really like the late model XL mk3, keep up the good work, I really enjoy your updates.

Cheers mate, im really enjoying saving this, ive gotta say i do prefer the pre face lift model, but know alot of people prefer face lift, horses for courses eh